Please sign in to post.

London in Winter

My next vacation isn't till January of next year and I am seriously considering London for the week. I am tempted by the low airfare if I book this far out, but am concerned about the weather. Now, granted, I don't plan to go to London and come back with a tan any time of year. And I live in the Northeast U.S, where weather is very extreme--typically around 20 in January then up to 90 in July. I just wonder if anyone thinks this is a terrible idea? I am dying to go and am afraid this is the only time I can squeeze it in in the near future. Thoughts?

Posted by
1556 posts

I would avoid most of N Europe. As previously stated, London can be cold and damp as can Paris and Italy. If by chance it gets extremely cold your entire vacation may be ruined. If your main intent is to visit the museums and take in some plays, then go.

I think you are better off going south to Spain/Portugal where you'll have better weather. 2 years ago we were in Italy over Dec/Jan and it was bitterly cold in Venice and Florence. It was only when we got to Rome that we got warmer weather. Also, we encountered a lot of snow in Florence which was beautiful but also very cold and uncomfortable.

Do your research and make your decision.

Also, I would say it is way too early to book an airfare now. Generally the cheap winter fares won't get loaded till Oct/Nov after the summer travel is over.

Posted by
64 posts

Elizabeth,
I have been to London several times in both winter and fall (fall is definitely better!). If you are prepared for the cold weather (in your mind) you'll have a good time. Do the museums and the plays. Dress in layers! Last time I was there it was cold and it snowed. I was with a friend. We still went out every day, we just stopped frequently in the shops to look around and warm up. Saw a lot of great shoes!
Enjoy tea!

Posted by
390 posts

I say go! I've spent a lot of time in London in the colder months. It's been anywhere from 55 and sunny in December, 40 and rainy in February, and 65 and sunny in January. (It snowed the following week.)

London is a great city anytime of year - and you just might find you meet a lot more locals in the winter! (They're not annoyed with all the tourists taking over their city!)

Chances are it will be pretty mild (40's)with a few rainy days. Nothing you can't handle! You say you are dying to go, and I say do it! Don't settle for another country just because the weather might be a bit gray. I think the gray skies make it all the more "British"! :)

If the weather gets to be too awful, you can always find a great tea house, cafe, museum, or do some fantastic shopping!

I'd recommend waiting until October or November to book. Every year prices drop right after Labor Day for travel from the end of November - February (excluding Christmas).

Posted by
445 posts

Have been to London about 25 times and mostly in the winter......for one the air fares from the East Coast are dirt cheap!!! Weather is much warmer than the Northeast/Midwest but can be very damp which gets to your bones! Have never had much rain and snow only once. Their snow always melts very quickly
anda they never get the huge amounts we get. (they think a lot of snow is 3 inches!!!!))
I always wear a raincost with a removable lining.. and a removable hood....prefer the microfibre ones as they are very light if you have to carry it. There is so much to do in London you will be busy all the time. It's a bit like going to NY in winter (only warmer). I just take a few pair of woolen pants and some wool turtle necks and maybe a skirt if I want to dress up for something. Add a bunch of scarfs, a hat (packable kind) and some gloves and you will be set. Hotel rooms are usually very warm.
If you want to go to the ballet, be sure to book in advance...Royal Ballet is very pricey.

Posted by
12040 posts

It could be 10 below and I'd still rather be in London than just about anywhere else! If you live in York (PA?), the weather won't be any worse than in your hometown. Most of my trips to Europe have been in the colder months, and I have never regretted a single one. I say, if you want to see London, go for it!

Posted by
445 posts

Wanted to add to my previous message that you should register with Virgin Atlantic so that you get their emails announcing sale fares. Right now (until sometime in May) they are offering 185 one way to London from NY/Newark
www.virgin-atlantic.com
No I don't work for them but always fly with them and am a frequent flyer. They have one of the best FF programs around.
In reference to your trip, depending on how much time you have, you might also consider Paris. Have been there as well lots of times in winter. All the things I said about London are true for Paris in winter, except that I think it rains MORE!!!
NEVER EVER pass up on the chance to travel no matter what the season. Hotel rates are lower too!

Posted by
3428 posts

YES! Do London! We have been to London in Nov/Dec and loved it. A week of theatre, markets, and day trips would be marvelous! And the crowds would be smaller. Windsor, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Canterbury, Cardiff, Bath, York- all make great day trips. It is a wonderful place to "escape" your own reality and live a bit of fantasy!

Posted by
25 posts

My husband and I just spent Xmas 2007 through New Years 2008 in London and the weather was OK. It was actually warmer there than at our home in KY. It was in the 40s and low 50s, we wore coats and hats and we had a GREAT time.

My husband just went back there last week for work and he said the weather was really almost the same as back in December. So I say go and enjoy it - just be prepared and bring the long underwear, hats and gloves!

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I will continue to watch the airfares, but I believe my decision has been made!