Please sign in to post.

London hotels

Any suggestions for a nice, moderately priced hotel or B&B in London?
Close to Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Holburn, St. James, or Soho.

Posted by
2023 posts

A hotel that we formerly enjoyed but not in an area that you prefer, is The Rembrandt. We now use Priceline and have had great luck getting four star hotels at good rates. You need to look at Bidding For Travel to see what others have bid on. You pay in USD with PL

Posted by
9063 posts

Cost is subjective. What is moderately priced in Dallas dollars? Give us a figure and we will be happy to share favorite lodgings.

Posted by
4 posts

Moderate cost is subjective, and I understand lodging in London is expensive. The places I've been looking at on bookings.com range from $850 to $1202 for 6 nights. However, there are a lot of negative reviews. I'm willing to pay the
higher end of that range, but I'd like to be sure the place is clean and pleasant.

Posted by
9063 posts

Yep London is expensive and worth every penny. Interested why you tossed in the Holburn neighborhood (not often one people inquire about) BUT if you'd consider an apartment instead of a hotel this place (if available) meets your budget. http://www.fleetriverbakery.com Breakfast is included in the room rate. Read Trip Advisor reviews. Otherwise these are well reviewed and within your budget
http://www.lunasimonehotel.com in the Victoria neighborhood (walking distance of the Palace, http://www.jurysinns.com/ in the Chelsea neighborhood, http://www.melia-whitehouse.com/en/melia-white-house.html in the Regent's Park Neighborhood, or this spot in the Bloomsbury neighborhood; http://www.ridgemounthotel.co.uk. Read Trip Advisor reviews for all. With the tube and by foot very easy travel to "THE" sites of London. Happy trails.

Posted by
4 posts

The neighborhood locations were supplied by my daughter who is studying in London this semester. Those are apparently the locations close to where she
attends class.

Posted by
4 posts

Claudia,
Thank you so much for your help. You've given me great leads to start my search.

Posted by
3580 posts

I stayed at an airbnb place in Hawaii recently. Now that I understand how it works, I can recommend using that lodging native. I believe the business end of airbnb is located in California. They collect and hold the money. Payment (can be) by credit card. In researching places to stay in London, I saw lots of rooms and apartments rented thru airbnb. Next trip I intend to try one. Some are very centrally located in London. Just be sure to read the description carefully. Owners have their own rules and rates. Some charge a deposit fee. Pay attention to reviews. Many places in London don't have elevators. If this is important to you, make sure the lodging you choose has one.

Posted by
9063 posts

My pleasure Barbara. Hopefully, one will be to your liking. Swan, I used airbnb for the first time on a trip to London in May of 2011. Couldn't have been happier with each of the accommodations I secured pre and post my trip to Istanbul. In fact as I have posted previously I liked one of the places so much that it will be first inquiry for availability on my next trip to London. The only reason I'd didn't mention this option in replying to Barbara is that she requested info on hotels AND this flat isn't in one of the neighborhoods she mentioned but in the Kentish Town/Camden neighborhood. Yes, airbnb started in the San Francisco Bay Area. Glad to hear about another satisfied customer.

Posted by
17169 posts

Our go-to place in London has become too expensive for us. For our next visit, I have booked a studio at Fleet River Rooms, the place Claudia mentioned above. The rave reviews on Tripadvisor appear to be genuine, as most are by seasoned reviewers. And people were discussing the place ( and how popular it has become) on the London forum as well. The studios are furnished in a cool modern style, which we much prefer over ornate florals and lace. Barbara, for a 6-night stay you might really like the convenience of a studio apartment like this. They do book up early ( Lucy was not at all,surprised with my inquiry a year in advance).

Posted by
1943 posts

I stayed at the Luna and Simone near Victoria Station last year. The rate for a twin room is 100 to 140 GBP. The neighborhood is very nice, lots of small grocieries, pubs, a TESCO, restaurants in the neighborhood and the bus (#24 I think) goes right by the front door. I found it very convenient. There is no elevator, but I asked for a ground floor twin. Breakfast is adequate and staff is very kind.

Posted by
132 posts

Lola, when are you staying at Fleet River Rooms? We are looking at booking there as well. Reviews are good and how nice would it be to stay above a bakery? Let us know what you think of it, please.

Posted by
4 posts

Fleet river rooms is great but they book very far in advance! Also, 122 Great Titchfield Street is a great reasonable B&B that also has a self catering suite. They have great reviews on trip advisor and are in an amazing location. Have a great trip!

Posted by
17169 posts

Stacy--we will not be staying at Fleet River until next September, so that may not be in time to help you with your decision. I did book a year ahead, and they were not at all surprised by my request. If they had been booked, my next choice was 122 Great Titchfield Street, the one suggested by Stephanie.