Please sign in to post.

London hotels

Hello,
I will be in London in late June for 6 days. Can anyone recommend any affordable, safe hotels or B&B's that are also located near some tube stations. Thanks for your help!
Cheers!

Posted by
591 posts

There are scores of places that might meet your requirements. You might start out by looking at http://www.londontown.com/ which has an interactive map showing the hotels & tube stations, plus prices and lots of other good info.

Posted by
34 posts

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice. I will definitely check those places out. I've been to Ireland and India, and didnt have any problems finding affordable lodging. London on the other hand is proving to be a bit of a challenge. Hopefully I'll win the lottery beforehand and can then afford to splurge a bit...

Posted by
23267 posts

Have to remember London is the most expensive city in the world -- maybe H Kong is more but not much. Therefore, even cheap places are expensive. We have the stayed several times in the Victoria Station at the Lime Tree and Hotel Winchester. The Winchester is a little less than the Lime Tree. Lime Tree is across the street from Victoria and has a great wine bar around the corner from the hotel. There many other hotels in that same area.

Posted by
180 posts

Hi John: I was having the same trouble-- hotels seem VERY expensive in London compared to other cities-- even Paris and NYC.

We ended up using Priceline (which I'd never done before). We selected 5 star hotel in Mayfair and ended up with a fantastic place, where we paid about 40% of the published price.

I've had friends use Priceline for London and stay in 4 star hotels in Knightsbridge for $100/night.

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks for all your help ladies and gentlemen, you've given me some very good leads. I promise to bring you all back some fish and chips!

@Laura, I'm HOPING to find somewhere around $100 or less a night, but realistically I'm thinking its going to be around $150 a night. Safety is number one priority, then being close to a tube station. I'm going to be taking lots of side trips, so the hotel will really just be a crash pad. Alls I really need is a bed, a shower, and a pub close by. I'll also be flying to Dublin and was wanting to splurge there and spend a night or two at The Clarence, Bono and The Edge's hotel. As a U2 fan, I feel it's my duty...

Posted by
5515 posts

John, you might consider the name your own price option on priceline. Check the websites biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com for suggestions.

Another site tha I have used is lastminute.com

Areas that tend to have some lower priced hotels include Bayswater, Earls Court, Bloomsbury (particularly around Russell Square). All of these areas are safe and close to the tube.

If you are really just looking for a bed, a number of people have suggested easyHotel ... I haven't stayed here myself but their rooms are very inexpensive for London.

Posted by
2026 posts

Last May we got a good deal at the Club Quarters Hotel Trafalgar Square. A minute walk to Trafalgar Square and a few minutes to Charing Cross tubes and rail. I communicated with both the website and the hotel locally by email, and gotwhat I felt was a good rate. It took some time and got a little complicated, but worked out well and we stayed for around 90 to 100 pounds per night.

Posted by
43 posts

Just returned from a trip to London. Used betterbidding.com and priceline to get 4* Marriott Maida Vale, for about $130/nt total (no breakfast)
it was a bit further from the city than some others, but just 3 blocks from tube station, and 1/2 block from several bus line stops. 3 tube stops from Paddington station. Nice area, felt safe even at night. Lots of shops nearby. We would pick up stuff from the grocery store 1.5 blocks away in the evening for breakfast the next morning. Pharmacy and Bank with inside ATM if you are concerned about that 3 blocks away.

Have no complaints about the place, they even let us check in before 10am when we arrived and asked if they could hold our bags.
Great pubs nearby with much better prices than central London. Note that most pubs stop serving food around 9pm.
On the next trip, if we can't get a 5* in Mayfair under $160 with priceline, would certainly take it again through priceline.

Also used priceline to get the Shelbourne hotel in Dublin for about $160/nt total including St Patrick's day! so could likely get it even less other times.

Posted by
433 posts

I just reserved a room for 4 nights at the Luna Simone hotel near Westminster Abbey and Victoria Train Station and tube. It's rated at 4 1/2 stars on trip advisors, so I'm hoping it's decent. Cost is 100 pounds if I pay cash

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm looking everything up now. Cheers!

Posted by
2 posts

See that latest hot place to stay Forty Winks, very very nice, I think this place is great value for the style and and comfort...some other ideas at www.myweekin.net

Posted by
713 posts

I'm just back from a London vacation. I stayed several nights in the Arosfa, one of the small hotel/B&Bs along Gower Street in Bloomsbury. Handy for the Tube, clean and well-managed. Some nice amenities, and breakfast included. Reasonably priced. University neighborhood, great transportation links, I felt safe walking from the Tube station (Goodge Street is closest but Euston Square and Russell Square stations aren't far), day or night. Lots of buses run along Gower Street also.

Other recommended hotels along Gower Street include the Arran House and the Ridgemount.

http://www.arosfalondon.com/
http://www.ridgemounthotel.co.uk/
http://www.arranhotel-london.com/newsletter_0410.htm

Posted by
463 posts

we booked lodging for our upcoming trip and had the exact same issue--extremely expensive lodging in london. we decided on a compromise--we will be staying at one very cheap hotel (easyhotel, already recommended on here, so i'm sure you've looked it up) and one moderate hotel (the hoxton) for the days that are less expensive--the weekends, oddly. we are spending under $100 US dollars per night average. i admit this is an odd solution--and that we will be spending an entire day with our 'luggage'--one backpack each--in between hotels, which is not ideal for anyone with more to carry. best of luck to you--and know that no matter what, you can make plans fit budgets.