Please sign in to post.

London Eye... worth it?

We are still on the fence about going on the London Eye. What are some of your experiences? Thanks!

Posted by
9363 posts

What is "worth it" to one person may be completely the opposite to someone else. On a clear day you would undoubtedly have a fantastic view, but I wouldn't bother buying tickets ahead of time because you just don't know about the weather. Personally, I hate ferris wheels so I would never consider going on it. It's a matter of personal preference.

Posted by
643 posts

Well some say it is the best view of London. We didn't go on it during our first trip, but we will this fall. Won't buy advance tickets, plan to go at sunset some night and hopefully not too long a wait to get on.

Posted by
32198 posts

Amy, I definitely felt that the London Eye was "worth it". It provides a fantastic view of London, which seems to stretch forever, and along the Thames, and was somewhat of a "unique travel experience". I managed to choose a time when it wasn't too busy and there wasn't a long queue for ticket purchase. My wait to board was also very quick. The London Eye moves very slowly, so it doesn't stop when passengers disembark and board. Cheers!

Posted by
149 posts

I have been to London several times, but did not go on the London Eye until my most recent visit. I was very disappointed. I thought it was an overrated, overpriced ferris wheel. Not worth the price I paid or the time I spent standing in two long lines. Total tourist trap. I would have been better off climbing to the top of St. Paul's. Or simply riding at the top of a double-decker bus. Most visitors seem to think it's worth it, though, so my advice is to check it out and form your own opinion. More opinions on tripadvisor: http://goo.gl/OPta

Posted by
32701 posts

We are pretty much going in circles here . . ;->

Posted by
2349 posts

I probably would have skipped it, but we had teens with us so thought they'd like it. Turned out we all loved it. I also hate regular ferris wheels, but this was different. I'd do it again.

Posted by
2023 posts

We did the London Eye once and really liked it-great views. It is entirely different from a ferris wheel. Like the Eiffel Tower, it is something you do once at least.

Posted by
343 posts

We went last summer and loved it. We opted for first thing in the morning to have a shorter wait, cheaper price, and the option not to go if the weather was bad. We really enjoyed it.

Posted by
343 posts

We went last summer and loved it. We opted for first thing in the morning to have a shorter wait, cheaper price, and the option not to go if the weather was bad. We really enjoyed it.

Posted by
343 posts

We went last summer and loved it. We opted for first thing in the morning to have a shorter wait, cheaper price(instead of paying extra for a reserved time) and the option not to go if the weather was bad. We really enjoyed it.

Posted by
2708 posts

I really enjoyed it. The views are great, especially at dusk. I should tell you I am a big fan of ferris wheels, though this one is a bit different. I would not wait in a long line to do it because I wouldn't want to waste the time, but otherwise, I think it's worth it.

Posted by
138 posts

It's really all about the view, I think, so if you would be interested in seeing London from above (as long as the weather is clear), go for it!

Posted by
638 posts

Still going round and round. Maybe Journey said it best "the wheel in the sky keeps on turning".

Posted by
345 posts

For a sense of accomplishment and some great pictures, climb The Monument. Not for those with claustrophobia though... though I suppose, nor is the Eye!

Posted by
970 posts

It's a great big ferris wheel with great views of the city. Sometimes the lines are really long. If you are on a short visit to London, I'd skip it and use my time elsewhere. If you're there long enough to feel comfortable about devoting a a few hours to it, sure. As suggested, don't buy tickets in advance, 'cause the weather is fickle.