Please sign in to post.

London day trip

Hi everyone, Will be in London for five nights. Would like to do Stonehenge on a day trip. My question is regarding the tour groups as well as the particular tours. I'm looking at International Friends which offers small group of 16 on mini bus to Windsor, Bath, Stonehenge for $98. This is my only choice with them on my dates of 6/14 or 6/15. Price seems fair for small group. My second choice is with Golden Tours with much larger group. It offers same all day tour only Salisbury instead of Windsor for about same $$. Has anyone used either tour companies? And, is Windsor too commercialized? I'm leaning towards Salisbury but like the idea of smaller group.
Help!!

Posted by
180 posts

Take a look at Evan Evans tours. I have not used them but friends of mine here have and they also recommend them to their guests. Also take a look at London Walks. They run day trips out of the city and are fabulous!

Posted by
837 posts

I cannot imagine how you could do much more than wave while passing on a one day tour that included Windsor, Bath, and Stonehenge. Not much better substituting Salisbury for Windsor.

Posted by
5508 posts

If you will be in London on a Tuesday, London Walks does a daytrip to Stonehenge and Salisbury. You meet at the Waterloo train station and take the train to Salisbury. You get a guided walk of Salisbury Cathedral and a bit of the town in the morning. You then have a break for lunch (on your own) and in the afternoon go over to Stonehenge where they also do a guided walk.

Posted by
970 posts

Laura's suggestion sounds good to me. Stonehenge itself looks just like it does in photos: A ring of big stones. It sits on a windy plain and is surrounded by a fence to keep you from getting too close. You walk around the stones and then go inside. I would not, then, make Stonehenge the focal point of a day, with time-available visits elsewhere. I would do just the opposite. I.e., plan to spend most of the day in Salisbury, with an afternoon run out to the stones. If I was driving instead of taking the train, I'd leave it for an hour on the way back to London. Bath more than merits its own day trip. It's about two hours by train. I visited Stonehenge about 25 years ago and have had no desire to go back in the dozen-plus UK visits I've made since then.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I will check out the tour groups suggested.