Please sign in to post.

london day trip

ok, i went through 7 pages in the to the north section and surprised that i did not come across this topic..

apparently we are going to London in march ]delta is having a nice sale] and i would like to know.where a good day trip [via train] would be. In Paris you have Versailles, so what is in London?

Oh also would be staying off of Cromwell road in I think either S. Kengsington or Earl's Court, if you have an opinion of that area too...

Posted by
75 posts

is the train ride to Windsor pretty; does one get to see the english countryside?

Posted by
9109 posts

The ride is not pretty. Windsor is more of a suburb of London....it's right next to Heathrow. If fact if you take the train to Windsor from Paddington station you have to change trains in Slough, which is where the BBC version of The Office took place.

Posted by
16096 posts

I usually stay in the S. Kensington/Earl's Court area and it's great. A mixture of tourist and residential with easy access to central London and Heathrow.

As far as day trips go....you have so many choices.....Windsor (take the train), Cambridge, Oxford, Bath, York (a long day),

One company you might want to look at is:London Walks

Besides their numerous walks in London, they offer numerous day trips as well. You meet the guide at the rail station and travel with him/her to your destination. I've taken about a dozen of their walk and have never had a bad one. And...they are very reasonable. (And much better than sitting on a stuffy bus.)

Posted by
4684 posts

Regarding the comment about bus from London to Windsor: best avoided at busy times of day as you'll probably be paralleling the main road route between the centre and Heathrow.

Posted by
2055 posts

Hampton Court is great. We have done terrific day trips by train to Oxford and Cambridge as well.