Please sign in to post.

london accomodations

Hi...we will be travelling to London in September. We are looking for a hotel or B&B that has easy access to tube. Don't want to be too far out of the city but in need of some relative quiet at night. Any suggestions? Also, would like a few days in paris during this 12 day trip. Any suggestions on how best to get there, can we store luggage at hotels?? Quiet, safe place in Paris? all suggestions most welcome! MANY THANKS

Posted by
117 posts

London: We stayed at Rydges Kensington at the beginning of May for a week. LOVED it! Very clean and very quiet. It is one block from the Gloucester Road Tube station and just a couple of blocks from the V&A and the Nat. History Museum. There's a terrific Indian restaurant just down the block called "Light Of India" (we dined there several times). There's a Barclay's across the street, too. The tour bus stop is right out front (as well as the regular London transit bus). Paris: Villa des Artistes, near the Montparnasse Tower. Spent our honeymoon and 6 month wedding anniversary there back in 1996 & 1997. It is just around the corner from the Lux. Gardens. We easily walked to Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and Louvre. When we go back to Paris, we'll certainly stay there again.

Posted by
372 posts

If you're looking for something in the $225 range I can recommend The London Vicarage Hotel. That will get you a room with private bath, full English breakfast, and a few blocks from the Kensington High Street tube station. Lots of stairs though and no elevator. I'd look into getting Eurostar tickets for Paris since that takes you from city center to city center. Book them soon though since the cheapest tickets sell out fast.

Posted by
8566 posts

Vancouver Studio Apartments in Bayswater. Have stayed there more than once. Clean, quiet, safe. Kitchenette a plus. Check Tripadvisor reviews. Two tube stations nearby. Vibrant neighborhood. Close to Hyde Park. As far as Paris visit research taking the Eurostar train. Buying tickets on line well in advance will generate savings.

Posted by
9 posts

WONDERFUL TIPS!!! Many THANKS to you all!! I will be checking into those places and Eurostar. Keep them coming!!!

Posted by
8293 posts

For a hotel in Paris, look into the Hotel Ideal, rue Emile-Zola. You can get to it easily from the Gare du Nord (Eurostar terminus) on Bus No. 42. Go around to the back of the Gare to catch the bus. Buy metro/bus tickets at St.Pancras before you board the Eurostar. Hotel Ideal is 2 star, pleasant, has an elevator, in a safe mixed residential/commercial neighbourhood and has doubles for approx. €110 (last time I checked). Bus 42 stops a few meters away.