Please sign in to post.

London accommodations

I'm trying to find a small hotel or B&B in London for two women traveling alone, and quite frankly, I've looked at so many websites, my head is spinning and I'm totally overwhelmed. London has changed so much since I was last there (more than a decade ago), I have no idea which areas are safe, and which are seedy. We're trying to keep it under 100GBP/night including VAT and breakfast, prefer ensuite if possible, need to be a few blocks from a tube station, and would rather not be as far out as W. Kensington, because I have a physical limitation, and would rather not exhaust myself just getting to the tube or to attractions. We're also not crazy about being so close to train stations that late night noise is an issue. I'd be grateful for any and all recommendations!

Posted by
163 posts

Hi JJ. My wife and I booked at room at the Cherry Court Hotel for our trip this coming fall. It has been highly recommended by many on this site. I think our room is around 50-60 pounds a night. It looks like it is in a good location.

Posted by
1455 posts

JJ
I've been to London 5 times in the past 4 years, and felt perfectly safe. I'm a petite woman (under 5 foot) if that helps.

I've booked my hotel on Hotwire.com and picked at least a 3 1/2 star hotel, and have the best of luck. My most recent hotel was the Wardorf Hilton, located in the Theatre District, and paid $110 per night. The room was small, but it was clean, private bath (Crabtree & Evelyn products) and prepaid when I got there.

Down the street from the hotel was a Pret a Manger which we had breakfast, and I was located walkin distance from the bus stop and the tube.

Posted by
4 posts

Michelle -- I've never used Hotwire. You don't know the hotel until after you pay, though, right?

Posted by
36 posts

We are going to London on 4/1 through 4/9 and are staying at Cherry Hill which was recommended to us. I will let you know when we come back if it met our expectations.

Posted by
5676 posts

JJ, This doesn't exactly fit your bill, but this has become my standby hotel when I visit London.

I frequently stay at the Millenium Baileys. It is located directly across the street from Gloucester Road tube station. I like this location as it is easy to get to from Heathrow. It is also on both the Piccadilly line and Circle line so this makes it convenient for getting into central London. There are many conveniences close by including a Waitrose grocery store and a convenience store located within a block.

They often have good rates if you stay at least 3 nights and book in advance. However, breakfast is NOT included at the lower rates. They have a nice breakfast buffet, but if it is not in your rate I don't think it is worth it. There are a number of places nearby where you can get breakfast for less.

It is older hotel with a grand entrance and creaky floors. I've stayed there at least half a dozen times and every room I have had has been a different shape. My rooms have always been quiet. The staff has always been very accommodating and have held my bag when I have checked out late. It is not perfect, but I've always had a satisfactory experience.

Posted by
250 posts

I traveled alone last year and found the Luna and simoneto be very safe feeling with GREAT bus connections to the tube. I was concerened about coming home after a play at night. Bus10,I think, drops you AT the hotel. It was marvelous.

Have a great time!

Posted by
50 posts

Try www.winchesterhotel.net
I believe we got the recommendation from Rick's '07 London book. We are going back there this year. Its easy walking to food and shopping, and is a few blocks from Victoria Station. Its an easy, but 30 min walk to Parliment and the London eye. Very helpful, friendly staff. Check them out.

Posted by
643 posts

I can highly recommend the Stanhope Arms across the street from the Millennium Bailey's Hotel. My wife and I had dinner there on our last night in London (so sad...) and we had a great meal (and I had a couple delicious pints of ale) there.