Please sign in to post.

London

I am working in Holland and planing a trip to London for a few days. I want to stay some where cheap but safe.... I am a 21 year old female and travling alone. I have looked at hostles, but not to thrilled with the chanch that I might not relax or sleep at night! Any thoughts out there?

Posted by
1986 posts

Try the Bloomsbury area. Its near the British Museum, easy walk to the West End and the thames. Not very known to tourists. Tends to be cheaper than known reas and hotels generally get good reviews

Posted by
3 posts

I wish I was able to, but I'm only going cause I have time off at the end of the mounth.... Thank you though :)

Posted by
3428 posts

Erica- check out the London School of Economics (webiste in 1st post). They sometimes have spare dorm rooms or apartments, even during the school term. They have multiple locations, all near the tube. And you get access to student facilities, like the laundry and the "lounge" (game room)- plus kitchen/kitchenett or kitchen priviledges, and most are ensuite .

Posted by
3792 posts

Here are some good small hotels that seem like a B&B: Try "The Lime Tree" mentioned in RS London book. Great price, great owners, and great location. www.limetreehotel.co.uk The Elizabeth Hotel: phone 020/7828/6812 The web site I had for them seems to be not working now. The Cherry Court Hotel:
www.cherrycourthotel.co.uk Very inexpensive; run by the Patel family. I believe all of these have at least one room in them that is very small, and has one twin bed. Request that specifically when you book, and ASK for a student discount. Many places will not mentioned the types of discounts they will give unless you ask about them. You will be safe at one of these, and get a good breakfast the next morning. They are each run by a married couple, so it will not feel impersonal like a hostel, more "homey".

Posted by
1828 posts

Last month I stayed at Luna and Simone, my friends were at Limetree. We both liked our hotels, but mine was a little more plain and cost less. The service was outstanding. The two brothers who run L & S go out of their way to help you with any of your needs. Also, the #24 bus stops right in front of the hotel and goes to Trafalgar and that is a big plus. There is a separate front door key and I always felt safe-even at night when I came home on the bus from a play at the West End.

Posted by
146 posts

We really enjoyed the Lynton Hotel near Victoria Station and Big Ben and Westminster Abbey and Parliament and Buckingham Palace and the Parks and Harrods. A little further to Trafalgar, Picadilly and so much more. The Breakfast is delicious. The hospitality is great. The price is reasonable for London. Plain rooms but you are not in London for luxury, right? http://www.lyntonhotel.co.uk/?gclid=CLiwm6TGq6kCFYje4AodE3kTLg

Posted by
970 posts

Easy Hotels: cheap, modern, t-i-n-y. Bloomsbury hotels, b&b's: Older, not quite so tiny. Pretty good location, actually. Easy Tube access.

Posted by
104 posts

I know you said you are worried about hostels, but I have stayed at Palmer's Lodge twice and never had a problem sleeping. It's not a party hostel, and there are rooms of various sizes, so you can choose a smaller room if you like. It's cheap, outside of the busy parts of London, in a safe area (Swiss Cottage, not far from Abbey Road if you are a Beatles fan). The website is: http://www.palmerslodge.co.uk/

Posted by
33 posts

I just returned from London and stayed at the Vandon House Hotel. Very reasonable rates. Very safe location (near Buckingham Palace) and the front desk has a person there 24/7. Here's the link: http://www.vandonhouse.com/
Found it in Rick Steves' book. May be best to call at this late date, but they are very good about answering emails.