Please sign in to post.

London 2012

Help! I am helping my Mom travel to London to visit her birthplace, relatives, and friends. I want to go during the Olympics, stay in central area, while also trying to sneak into some museums. Since I havent been there in 30 years, and I am travelling with young girls as well, what
accomodations do you recommend for a 52, 81 and girls 14 and 7??

Posted by
409 posts

For starters, I would avoid London during the Olympics - especially with an 81 year old in tow. Accommodation prices are through the roof during that time, and I can only imagine the public transportation. Can you leave earlier? (BTW, my wife and I are headed to England (incl. London) beginning on July 3. We are purposely seeing London well prior to the Olympics.) When you do decide to go, look for hotels and B&B's offering family rooms. Or you could rent a flat (even better) - you didn't say how long you'll be staying....

Posted by
33589 posts

You should not have to "sneak" into most museums in London. Most are free. I would never encourage anybody to sneak in. If it costs money, pay the money. That's not right.

Posted by
33589 posts

Have you considered staying with the relatives? Are they in central London? Central London is a big place... which part?

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone how has replied. My relatives are in Kent and Sussex. My mUm is a native londoner but no longer has anyone in the city. Used to live EC1yopt. I remember visiting when BARBICAN was built! So we r dead set on OLYMPIC time,even if we stay in the country for part of it.

Posted by
33589 posts

I know where EC1 is... what does "yopt" mean?