Please sign in to post.

london

This will be our first trip to London, My daughter, who is 11 years old will be racing theBMX World finals in Birmington. We will be arriving in London on may16th. we plan on staying in london for the first 3 days and then travel to Birmingham for a week competition. We are thinking B and B in London. But we will have her Bike and our Luggage. We need a way to get to the B and B from the airport, and then to get from the B and B to Birmingham. Any suggestions. I have tried to read the rail sites but WOW are they overwhelming. Also how expensive is a Taxi from Heathrow to say Hyde Park if we find a B and B there. I am open to any suggestions from how to travel, to a b and b to stay at.

Posted by
3428 posts

First- congratulations to your daughter.
Now- there aren't really b&bs in London. There ARE smaller, family owned hotels. Not sure how having a BMX bike will impact where you stay, but you'll want to let whomever you consider know that you will be brining one. I don't think a bike will be a problem on the train- but I'd suggest you pirvate message Nigle who often responds on this board as he works for a rail company in the UK. I am certain he can clarify routes, procedures, etc. Also- a regular taxi may not work either due to the bike (plus it'd be VERY VERY VERY expensive- the one time we did that - on the day of the London bombings 7/7, we paid more than 80 GBP plus tips). But a pre-booked hire-car might. Again, you will need to let them know about the bike so you get one big enough.

Posted by
3 posts

thanks, The Bike will be packed in a golf bag, so hopefully that is not to much problem. I really do not know where to stay. I would not mind staying close to airport if it would be easier. I am really stressing my self out now. I just want to spend a few days in London to show my daughter the sites. Does anyone have any suggestions. From where to sty to how to get there? any advice will be appreciated.

Posted by
9126 posts

I suggest a car hire to get you from Heathrow to your B n B.
You'll need to make certain they have a vehicle that will carry you, the bike and you luggage. A van would do. YOu'll also need to make certain that where ever you choose to stay that there is enough room for a bike. Most of the time rooms in London are small. A Best Western sized room in London would be considered the Ritz. Take a look at the airbnb website. Maybe an entire flat or apartment would be better than an B and B. Before you book anything look up a London Tube (Underground) map to be certain you'll be in zones 1 or 2. Can't help you with transport to Birmington. Hopefully, Nigel can tell you about possible train options

Posted by
11507 posts

sounds like the bike will be packed up in a large bag, I know bmx bikes are not very big anyways,, so I can't see a taxi not being able to take it,, its in a bag,, a large bag.. its not like a set up bike that needs a bike rack. Is this a bag you can pick up and carry, sounds like it is,, so I don't know if I would cloud the issue too much by called it a bike , cause taxis may feel you need extra storage for it, just say its a large bag( what are the rough dimensions we are talking about here?) Same with a hotel, if you can carry in it bag to your room like a big suitcase then what does it matter to them whats in the bag? So with that in mind I would just start looking for a hotel in your budget range( which is what?) . Take daughter to the Tower of London, my kids enjoyed it, and of course the British Museum, but the Victoria and Albert one is great too, it has some clothes and old furniture that my kids thought were cool to look at. Plus the Natural History Musuem is right across the street and kid love that one. Both free too!( as are most) Tower is expensive but worth it, the Beefeaters tour(included) is fun and interesting. Plus seeing the Crown Jewels if fun form most people... and there is the armour and weapons.. etc.

Posted by
214 posts

I would suggest seeing Warwick Castle ( 25 minutes from B'Ham) and seeing Stratford Upon Avon ( 40 minutes away ) where Shakespeare was born, lived and is buried. Warwick is one of the best preserved castles around.

Posted by
1986 posts

Only part of your question- with only 4 days in London , and a wish to see the sights, you should stay as close to the center of London as you can. I usually suggest near Piccadilly ircus/leicester Sqaure; but anywhere within a short walk of the Circle Line Tube will work. Probably even the Victoria station area which is wel like don this site No point in staying near the airport, its a long /or expensive ride into London to the sights each day. Also being in London itself would be more convenient for the train to Birmingham.
(per the national rail site, trains from London to Birmingham leave from Euston or Marylebone stations in London).

Posted by
33592 posts

... continued ... Virgin trains can be very busy at peak times and often have passengers standing at both Birmingham and London at peak times. Lots more room in First Class for lots more money. London Midland: Usually plenty of room for bikes off-peak. Best place to travel is coach "C", in the disabled area (subject to disabled passengers' priority). LM's fastest trains to Birmingham from London are often combined with services to Crewe - if that's the case the Crewe portion of the train will be the front 4 cars and the Birmingham section will be the rear 4 cars. Because LM go via Northampton and only go at 100 mph, and make more stops, they are a fair bit slower but cheaper. Peak trains on LM can be very very crowded. Chiltern:
They go from Marylebone to either Moor Street or Snow Hill and the running times vary somewhat depending on stopping pattern but generally are faster than they used to be. As I no longer run across their trains I can't speak to their passenger to seat ratios. I wish your daughter the very best luck for fast safe rounds. Where will you be staying in Birmingham?

Posted by
3428 posts

Having the bike broken down does help alot. I'd still recommend a pre-booked hire car. It's still a rather large piece of 'luggage'. And see if you can book the same company to take you to the train station for the trip to Birmingham. I agree about staying in central London, too. It will help if you can give us your budget. You are cutting it close to book for May 16th. London is building up to the Olymipcs and things are getting booked up. You might check out the London School of Economics and Ctiadiens to see if any small apartments are available. Both have multiple central London locations- all near tube stations. You'd have a kitchen or kitchenett, laundry acess, etc. www.lsetopfloor.co.uk/ http://www.citadines.com/uk/london/holborn_covent_garden.html

Posted by
33592 posts

Regarding taking the BMX bike on transport... If it travels as a bike: Bikes are only allowed on London Underground trains if they are what are called "Subsurface" lines - that's Hammersmith & City, Circle, District, and Metropolitan, and then only if carried up and down the stairs - bikes banned from the escalators. And no bikes anywhere on the Tube between 0730 and 0930 or between 1600 and 1900. Folding bikes (probably not your daughter's) anywhere, anytime as long as they are folded. If it travels as a golf bag: remember that the Underground has loads of steps. Even if the Tube station has escalators it is likely to have several or many steps which must also be navigated. And ... the Underground is always crowded, at peak hours it becomes extremely crowded. From London to Birmingham: Three Train Operating Companies (TOCs) link London and Birmingham directly. Two TOCs go between London Euston Station and Birmingham New Street, Virgin and London Midland. The third, Chiltern, run between Marylebone and Birmingham Snow Hill and Birmingham Moor Street. The BMX World finals will be held in the NIA, the National Indoor Arena. The NIA is a very easy walk from New Street Station and probably a few minutes closer to Snow Hill. Non folding bicycles are not permitted on ANY trains departing from Euston 1600-1900 M-F. Or ANY trains scheduled to arrive at Euston 0700-1000 M-F.
On Chiltern, not on trains arriving at London Marylebone or Birmingham Snow Hill between 07.45 and 10.00 or departing London Marylebone or Birmingham Snow Hill between 16.30 and 19.30 M-F. Virgin have 4 spaces on each of their trains which must reserved ahead, first come first served. Their tilting trains are the fastest between the two cities traveling for large stretches at 125 mph. They tend to be the most expensive but advance fares are available. ... continued...

Posted by
409 posts

Shawna - We are headed to London and staying at the Thistle Kensington Gardens Hotel. I checked for availability on their website and they have standard rooms available for GBP 93, 106, and 110 for the 16th, 17th, and 18th. Check it out on Tripadvisor and see if it would work for you. I know it's close to a couple of tube stations...and maybe your daughter would like to get some "practice" in at Hyde Park across the street! :)