Please sign in to post.

Lodging near Shannon airport

My husband and I are meeting up in Shannon in September for two weeks - he is in Iraq right now. He is flying in the night before and then coming to the airport to pick me up the next morning.

Any suggestions on a place for him to stay outside Shannon? Town nearby?

My thought is to get him a room outside the city that would be a good starting point for our trip. We would obviously go back there when I fly in to get "re-acquainted" and then start our vacation the next morning.

We also don't have a concrete itinerary. We know we want to see the western side of the country and that's about it - we're keeping it very low key and relaxed - so we're not fixed on which way from Shannon we go. I just didn't want to stay right at the airport.

Thanks in advance,
Kristine

Posted by
9363 posts

Bunratty Castle is about six miles from the airport. Along the Bunratty road (next to the castle) are numerous B&Bs. They would be an ideal place to find lodging. (You actually pass Bunratty on the way to the city of Shannon itself.) You could also see the castle and folk park while you're in the area. Durty Nelly's pub (next to the castle) has good food, as does the little shopping center across the road.

Then I would suggest heading slightly northwest, toward Lahinch and the Cliffs of Moher.

Posted by
524 posts

Nancy is right, Bunratty Road is the most convenient place for a night's stay upon landing. But in my mind it doesn't offer much else (pretty area, just not much to do). So if you arrive early in the day and still have energy, I'd suggest heading a bit north or south. But if you just want a good place to ease into Ireland upon landing, then certainly Bunratty Road is the obvious choice.

To the north, as Nancy points out, lies Lahinch (one of my favorite places in Ireland), Doolin, Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Galway, the Connemara, etc etc. To the south is Muckross House, Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, some great beaches, and tons of other scenery and great towns. Or head inland (east) to Lough Derg. You can't go wrong whichever direction you go.

Two weeks should give you enough time to gain an appreciation for at least the west of Ireland. And September is a great time to go.

You can't go wrong whatever route you choose. Follow your nose and explore. You'll love it. And for anyone who is currently stationed in Iraq, I can't think of a better or more deserved vacation destination.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks all.

I was wondering about the Bunratty area. Glad to know it's close. I have been reading the postings here for several months and have received a ton of good advice so I've narrowed down the sites that we want to see, but we'll just do it leisurely.

Posted by
162 posts

We stayed at Bunratty Castle Mews B&B near the Bunratty Castle. Delores the owner would wrap you up in a wonderful warm welcome and make your first night together in Ireland very special. Her decorated theme rooms are very romantic.

The others have given you great advice on where to go next. I too suggest seeing Cliff of Moher and Burren sites and then spending a good deal of your time on the Dingle Peninsula. It is beautiful, has lots to do and the town is just the right mix of pubs and shops and view of the bay. There are lots of nice B&B's there too. We stayed at the Lighthouse B&B and loved. Ask for a room with a bay view.

I hope you have a well deserved, wonderful time together!

Posted by
20 posts

Is it too late to add to another idea? I suggest getting a B&B in Corofin, a village about a half hour from Shannon, away from the touristy area around Bunratty. Ennis is a larger town with lots of places to stay as well, but Corofin is cozy and perfectly located for exploring north and west in Co. Clare (and a daytrip or overnight to Galway, a fun city to explore). We have also stayed in Lisdoonvarna and Lahinch, which we enjoyed very much. (One summer we rented a cottage for a week on the edge of Lahinch-- (The Links Holiday Village, fully furnished and comfortable: www.dreamireland.com) Don't worry about booking far ahead in Sept, but do reserve your first night and last night, however. And definitely buy or borrow the Michelin map of Ireland to find your way around. What a lovely idea to relax together in the West of Ireland for two weeks! Enjoy!

Posted by
8700 posts

If you decide to stay in the Bunratty area, the Bunratty Lodge might serve you well. I haven't stayed there myself, but I've read many favorable reviews.

Posted by
67 posts

The west of Ireland is so beautiful. I am returning for my 2nd trip to Ireland in September/October and I will be flying in and out of Shannon.
Thanks for the idea of Bunrarry Lodge....will check it out for my first and last nights. I may even spend a day or two there in the Shannon Estuary area.
You will LOVE Ireland - Have a wonderful trip!