Please sign in to post.

Limerick questions

I have several questions about Limerick since RS doesn't cover the town at all in his 2013 Ireland book, which I have. I've also done some online research but know that readers of this list will have many more options and opinions! 1. What is the best budget transportation for 2 from SNN into Limerick and return 2 days later? 2. Which centrally-located hotel(s) would you recommend for 2 ladies of a certain age? We're interested in something clean and reasonably quiet. Some of the reviews I've read on Trip Advisor make it sound like all the hotels are located in a noisy party/bar area.
3. With only a day and a half of free time in Limerick, which sights do you recommend we see? Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted by
3580 posts

I like Limerick. Look for B&Bs there. The Irish tend to be wonderful hosts. And the breakfasts are often of the large variety.

Posted by
12172 posts

Regarding your first question, Bus Eirenn runs buses regularly between Shannon Airport and Limerick, it takes about 45 minutes (not sure how much but probably cheap). Regarding where to stay, we stayed a longish walk from downtown so probably wouldn't be a good recommendation for you. Regarding what to see, King John's castle may be worth a stop. There's an IRA bar called Lone Star in town that was an interesting visit for me. Limerick isn't a particularly scenic city. It's gray and industrial, you can see how Angela's Ashes would be written here. The people, however, are always worth visiting.

Posted by
335 posts

Thanks for the info and I understand that Limerick is NOT a tourist town. A friend and I are staying for a couple of extra days after our tour ends in order to take a cooking class. I've found a possible B&B within walking distance of town (10 minutes) - has anyone stayed recently at the Eagle Glen B&B?

Posted by
9363 posts

1. Bus Eireann would probably be the cheapest and best alternative from the airport into Limerick. Their website is www.buseireann.ie if you want to look at schedules. You could also search for "ground transportation SNN" to see other options. 2. I always recommend B&Bs instead of hotels in Ireland. The hosts are always great, very knowledgeable about the area, and helpful in making suggestions for places to eat, things to see, etc. 3. I can't really answer this. I haven't spent time there, except while ensnarled in city center traffic. It seemed rather charmless and dirty, but that might have been my own perception.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi, SKIP Limerick. You are MUCH better served in Ennis. And I bet you can get a bus from the airport to Ennis. As others have politely stated, it is not a tourist town. I have had the misfortune of having passed through Limerick probably 7 or 8 times over the decades. It was ALWAYS gray. Rick Steves leaves it out of his book with good reason. As we say here, with out malice, "Take a hint".
wayne iNWI

Posted by
3580 posts

Folks on this helpline frequently ask for someplace "non-touristy," so Limerick fits that bill. I've spent time there and enjoyed its ordinariness. The McCourt brothers wrote memoirs of growing up poor in Limerick (ANGELA'S ASHES). There is a castle, as I recall, a train station, and a shopping area. Nearby, the Bunratty castle dinner experience was good. You can reach the castle by bus from Limerick. There is a folk park there for daytime browsing. The castle is open for tourists during the day (at least it used to be). It's a real castle; you can see where various activities took place and how people moved about the place. Castles were not cozy or comfortable places!