Please sign in to post.

Kerry, Ireland, in April 2008

We're planning on doing South-Western Ireland, mainly Kerry and Cork in April of 2008. We consider staying at the Inbhear Sceine cottages for a week as our base.
Is early April a good time to travel in this area or will it just rain all day and be cold? Also has anyone ever stayed at the Inbhear Sceine cottages? Are they as nice as in the pictures? Can you walk to center of the town of Kenmare for dinner and beers?
Also is Kenmare a smart location as base?
Thanks for any input, feedback, comments.

Posted by
9363 posts

Ireland in April is gorgeous! Everything is green, there are lambs in the fields, and the weather is mostly good. In the week we were there on our first trip it rained one day and was sunny the rest of the time. It was chilly and windy sometimes, but not wet. Kenmare is one of my favorite towns, and I think it would be a great base for exploring the area. In fact, it's the better end for starting the Ring of Kerry drive, since the tour buses go the opposite way. I've never stayed in the cottages you are looking at, so I can't help you there, but there are lots of great B&Bs in the area, too.

Posted by
8700 posts

Kenmare is also a great base for exploring the Beara Peninsula. The drive from Kenmare to Killarney is gorgeous and takes you along the edge of Killarney National Park.

Posted by
1 posts

Would you consider a night or two on the Dingle Peninsula? The sights are spectacular and the drive around the peninsula is less crowded than the Ring of Kerry (a better place to become accustomed to driving in Ireland). Camp Junction B&B in the tiny town of Camp is absolutely delightful. It is #1 on Trip Advisor and when you meet John Doyle, your host, you will understand its high rating. The Railway Tavern, where you can have a few pints with the locals, is within walking distance.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've been there in May and it was really nice. We had rain one morning while eating breakfast then dried up before we set out. Some mist on Ring of Kerry but visibility was fine.

People said it rains often in April. Locals say it's "soft" rain and not so bad.

Posted by
196 posts

Andreas:

Weather in April is usually really nice, but always be pre-pared for a 'soft' day. Self-catering is the way to go, however, I do agree w/another poster that you will need at least one night in Dingle (pack an over-night bag). One of the best places to stay in Dingle town is "The Captains House", however, it is important to book early. Their are pleanty of other B&B's in Dingle town & the area. The first time I was in Dingle we took a mini-bus tour from a local. I got his information from one of Rick Steves books. He was awsome and when I mentioned that I got his info from one of Rick Steves books the tour which was to be about 45 min ended up being like 1 & 1/2 hrs. .. this happened in Kinsale as well on a walking tour.

Kenmare is a really good central area to base yourself for the week. Do not miss Mizin Head light house. You may get to see seals & dolphins!