Please sign in to post.

Ireland, suggestions for sights w/cane 9/7-20/2012

We, 64 & 62 will be in Ireland Sept 7-20. Would Cliffs of Moher & Giants Causeway be too difficult for my multiple sclerosis with cane? Should we skip those and concentrate on ??? We have been to Ireland briefly in '91. On my list are Ring of Kerry, Book of Kells, lots of Celtic folk music and the above Cliffs & Causeway. We are flying into & returning from Shannon & renting a car. Have only booked first two nights. All ready visited Waterford & Blarney. Time is getting close. Husband likes long walks 5+ miles, ideas? Do most museums lend wheelchairs? Welcome your suggestions. Betz Miller
Santa Rosa, CA

Posted by
9363 posts

All I know about Giant's Causeway is that it is a bit of a walk from the parking area. I haven't been there, sorry. But the Cliffs should be easy for you. There is a beautiful visitor center there that is handicapped accessible. It's just a walk across the road from the parking, and you can view the cliffs from there or from outside.

Posted by
518 posts

At Giants Causeway there is a bus that leaves from the visitor center and let's you off right at the rocks. Same for the return. There is enough paved area at the coast and easy walking areas that you can well see the fascinating rocks with ease. You can venture as far as you feel comfortable. At theCliffs of Moher, the paths slope gently. Again, you should be able to see the cliffs without a problem. Also along the Antrim Coast, not far from Portrush, is Dunluce Castle, a ruin that is well worth a stop. You should be able to navigate that easily too. I would say that the rope bridge which is the other big Antrim Coast Attraction would be too much walking. You could easily stop and size it up before buying a ticket though. It's right on the road.
And, if you are in Portrush, eat at 55 North. Great food and view. Enjoy your trip. We loved Northern Ireland.

Posted by
518 posts

I also would highly recommend the Dingle Peninsula, which is close to Kerry. It is just beautiful and not too crowded.