Please sign in to post.

Ireland May 2011

We will be making our first trip to Ireland arriving May 7 and departing May 29. We are flying through Dublin. We will rent a car and stay exclusively in B&Bs. Basically we are following RS itinerary for a three week trip by car. So, first question--we plan on staying in or near Kilkenny for the first two nights and would like to book those nights ahead. We are looking for recommendations for a super, and affordable B&B for those two nights. Second, we are dropping the car off at Dublin airport May 26 and need accomodations for the last three nights of our stay. We are thinking Howth or Dun Laoghaire rather than Dublin proper. Again, we're looking for affordable B&B and recommendations between the two options. Considerations are ease of travel to Dublin and also to the airport for departure.
Thanks for your input.

Posted by
484 posts

I can't be of any help with your lodging but I do have a suggestion that you might look into. Rick's tour goes to Donegal town but then straight onto Derry. I would suggest you take an extra day or two and when you leave Donegal Town take the N56 highway west to the junction with the R263 and then into Killybegs. The Slieve League Sea Cliffs,among the highest in Europe, are just a few miles out of Killybegs. There is also a boat trip that leaves from the small town of Teelin so you can view the cliffs from land or sea-or both. Glencolumbkille is a few miles further west and there is also a great scenic drive that goes from Carrick on the R230 over the Glengesh pass and on into Ardara. You can then take the N56 north to Gweedore then onto the R251 which will take you by the entrance of Glenveigh National Park then onto Letterkenny and then Derry. This area is the most rugged and scenic part of Ireland and is largely ignored by tours but is certainly worth your time, especially if your do not enjoy elbow to elbow tourists such as you will find in Killarney and Galway. At least give it a look.