Please sign in to post.

Ireland itinerary - May, 2010

My wife and I are planning a 2 week tour of Ireland in mid-May 2010 with the following itinerary:
Day 1 - Arrive Dublin early AM
Day 2 & 3 Dublin - pick up rental car PM
Day 4 - Powerscourt, Glendalough, overnight Enniscorthy area (suggestions?)
Day 5 Rock of Cashel, south to Kinsale - overnight here
Day 6 Drive along coast - Skibbereen, Bantry, Glengarriff, overnight Kenmare
Day 7 Ring of Beara overnight Kenmare
Day 8 Ring of Kerry overnight Dingle
Day 9 & 10 Dingle Loop, Blasket
Day 11 Dingle, Tarbert, Cliffs of Moher, Burren overnight Galway area (suggestions?)
Day 12 Inishmore from Rossaveel (ferry or plane?) overnight Inishmore
Day 13 Inishmore to Newgrange (long drive) overnight at Dublin airport
Day 14 Fly home
Any suggestions to improve this itinerary would be appreciated - places to stay, sights to see, practicality of driving distances, etc.

Posted by
92 posts

Try plugging your daily drives into this: aaroadwatch.ie and see what it says. There's been lots of discussion on what percentage of time (20, 30, 40%???) to add to the suggested driving times on their route planner. Whatever it is, assume it will take up to an hour or two more because of the different driving conditions over there, roadwork, plus you might pull over and stop to take pictures or shop more often than a local might (I know from experience).

Just curious - you included Tarbert on Day 11. Is that because you are taking the ferry across the Shannon? I don't remember there being anything exciting there, other than the ferry.

You're right, Day 13 is a long drive. Be aware that for Newgrange you have to park at the Visitors Centre, book a tour time, and take a bus to the site. It was crowded when I was there during the summertime. Here's the website:

http://www.newgrange.com/visitor.htm

Sounds like a great trip! Have a wonderful time!

Posted by
2 posts

Tina - Tarbert is, in fact, included because of the ferry. Thanks for the input

Posted by
441 posts

In the Galway area you might like this. tradontheprom.com

Posted by
9363 posts

Yes, Day 13 will be a long drive. Even though it's not the same situation in May as it is in the summer, you might have difficulty getting into Newgrange late in the day. Tickets for the shuttle bus (the only way to get there from the visitor center) are sold first-come, first-served, and once they are gone for the day, that's it. With luck you'll get there early enough for one of the later buses. The earlier you can start out, the better, of course. I was there in late February, arrived around noon, and had to wait past one bus for the next one, and the bus was full.

Posted by
484 posts

Have you given any thought to seeing Newgrange on day two or three and then flying home out of Shannon? It would cut down on your time in Dublin but save driving across the country. There are several companies that do day trips from Dublin to Newgrange.

Posted by
2715 posts

Dick, I think this itinerary is pretty close to perfect! I wish I were going. Pat's suggestion to hit Newgrange at the beginning and fly out of Shannon is excellent, but if that's not an option, the only flaw I see in your plan is that you might not get in at Newgrange.

Regarding Inishmore, we flew over. I thought it would save time and be more reliable (since I had read that the boat doesn't go if the weather is bad). The plane was quick nad kind of fun, but we almost didn't get back because the weather was bad.. The flight before ours had to come back because they couldn't land. We were delayed a little while, but we made it fine. I don't know which is more likely to be cancelled by bad weather, but apparently neither is guaranteed to leave every day. As I said, the plane was quick, but it is twice as expensive. You might want to consider a ferry from Doolin or Galway so you don't have to drive all the way to Rossaveel to get to the airport. (We were coming from Clifden.)

Great Blasket Island is also dependent on the weather, so if the weather is good on your first day there, be sure to go, because the next day might not be as good. Great Blasket Island is my favorite place in island, and Inishmore is not far behind.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
1819 posts

I would subtract a day from Dublin and add it to County Galway so you have a day for touring Connemara which is one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland. That would also give you the choice of two days on which you can visit Inishmore--hopefully, the ferry would be running on one of those days. Newgrange is fairly close to Dublin airport--if you are picking your car up at the airport, you could visit there early on Day 4, then drive south for Glendalough (about a 60 mile drive) which is another very evocative place. For Beara and ROK, we stayed at a lovely B and B, Tahila Cove, just east of Sneem which would be conveniently located for visiting both of those peninsulas.