Please sign in to post.

Ireland itinerary help

Fly into/out Shannon. What am I missing? Suggestions for person w/cane? 1. F 9/7 Bunratty Medieval Banquet – near by B&B 2. St 9/8 Aran Islands Doolin, Co. Galway 3. Su 9/10 Connemara, Cloch na Scith Spiddal, Co. Galway 4. M 9/11 Westport 5. Tu 9/12 Portrush 6. W 9/13 Giants Causeway – Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh ? 7. Th 9/14 Lunch Bettystown – Dublin 8. F 9/15 Book of Kells – Dublin 9. St 9/16 Dublin 10. Su 9/17 Rock of Cashel Kenmare Lissyclearig 11. M 9/18 Kenmare Lissyclearig thatched cottage 12. Tu 9/19 Ring of Kerry Dingle Ballynahich castle? 13. W 9/20 Shannon Airport Ennis? 14. Fly Should we return car mid-way in Dublin, then pick up again? Or is that too much trouble?
Betz

Posted by
8682 posts

Interesting choice of towns. Family there? Ireland is a small island. Your longest drive is only four hours. You can actually add some sites I would think, depending on your stamina and adventurous spirit. Newgrange between NI and Dublin. Older than Stonehenge. In answer to your question about car rental might you consider booking a B&B our hotel outside the city center and taking a bus into Dublin. That way you keep the car but don't have to deal with the traffic and parking difficulties in Dublin. Book of Kells and the Old Library are outstanding. My friend has instructed me, that besides the Library of Congress, and the Royal Site of San Lorenzo de El Escorial in Spain, that she wants her ashes spread in the Old Library. A picnic and people watching in St. Stephen's Green was a highlight of my Dublin visit. Might add Glendalough or Powerscourt to the itinerary. Lovely country. Enjoy your visit.

Posted by
105 posts

On you're first Saturday, drop into Lisdoonvarna (near Doolin) for the Matchmaking festival for a bit of craic. http://www.matchmakerireland.com/
Bunratty Castle, Doolin and Lisdoonvarna are all in County Clare. Do the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren as well of course, also in Clare, near Doolin and Lisdoonvarna. I wouldn't bother returning the car in Dublin, driving here isn't as bad as it's made out to be, if you have a SatNav you'll be grand, if not stay in a hotel near the ring road (M50) and use public transport (or taxis) to get into the city. Enjoy your stay with us.

Posted by
57 posts

I'd keep the car in Dublin, especially if you're just staying in one place and all you have to do is drive to your hotel when you first get there and then out of Dublin your last day there. My husband and I drove our very first day in Ireland - it was a bit stressful, but it actually worked fine. By then, you'll be a pro at the driving on the left side thing. One tip - print out very specific directions ahead of time! As in, if Google maps tells you to turn in 4.2 kilometers, write that down! Having good directions helped us a ton! Ireland has horrible road signage.