Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary-Help!

Planning a trip to Ireland in April--arrive Dublin on the 9th, leave on 18th. Was thinking of doing Dublin, Galway, The Burren, Dingle, then back to Dublin. Is this too much for the time alotted? Should I book hotel/b&bs outside of Dublin ahead of time, or can we do that as we travel? How much time for Dublin? Definitely interested in pubs, and traditional music. Any and all advice appreciated--this is first trip to Ireland--also plan to drive (outside Dublin!!). Thank you!! Karen

Posted by
9363 posts

At that point in the year you won't need to book anything ahead, though you might want to book your last night near the airport. Have you considered flying into Shannon and out of Dublin instead? It is easier to adapt to the driving in Shannon, since it is rural and without traffic. Then you could turn in your rental when you arrive in Dublin (since you won't need or want a car there), then take public transportation back into the city for your days there. Not having to backtrack will save time that you can use for sightseeing. From Dingle to Dublin you could easily stop at Rock of Cashel.

Posted by
10203 posts

That is plenty of time to see those places. You don't need to book ahead that time of year, but you might want to have a list of places to stay available so you don't waste too much time looking for accomodations.

Posted by
16 posts

Karen,

My husband and I just did the 14 day RS trip to Ireland and it was amazing!!!! We enjoyed the Dingle peninsula the most and truly enjoyed the live music there and the music of Tommy O'Sullivan who has his own bar on the main strip.

Posted by
2361 posts

You asked also for how much time for Dublin, I think two days is enough. Highlights for us was Kilmainhaim Gaol. Personally would skip the brewery as we felt it was too expensive and not worth the time. You will save so much time if you start in Shannon and end in Dublin. For B&B, agree you do not have to reserve ahead of time. Call the Irish Tourist Bureau in NY and they will send you all kinds of free information including B&B info.Also suggest you get the Rick Steve's book specially for Ireland. this last trip his suggestion of taking ferry from Kinsale to Cobh also saved us driving time so for that tip alone it was worth it.

Posted by
138 posts

Thanks to all of you who are taking the time and responding! Am reading all the suggestions and taking good notes! Keep the ideas coming! Karen