Please sign in to post.

Ireland itinerary

We are flying in and out of Shannon in late May and in Ireland for 7 nights and would like some suggestions about building our intinerary. We are considering an itinerary something like this: Night 1 around Bunratty to settle in. Night 2 Kinsale OR Kenmare. Nights 3 and 4 in Dingle. Night 5 in Doolin. Night 6 in or around Galway. Night 7 in Ennis for easy access to Shannon the next day. Any suuggestions for deciding between Kinsale or Kenmare? What about the intinerary after Dingle? I'd like to stay in Doolin and Ennis is good for airport access, but if possible, I'd like to try to base somewhere for 2 nights after Dingle. We typically put together a very strenuous schedule and this time we'd like to slow it down a bit and get into our nighly destination by late afternoon for a leisurely evening. Would like to see a bit of Connemara, but not if it would be too much. I think we would rather do the Dingle peninsula rather than the ring of Kerry.

Posted by
9363 posts

My first comment would be that Bunratty area to Kinsale would be a very long drive. It would take a good portion of your second day, and then you'd backtrack the next day to go to Dingle. Kenmare is closer. But either way you're going way out of your way if you intend to stay the next two nights in Dingle. Your flight will most likely arrive in the morning, and Bunratty is only a few miles from the airport. Why stick around the airport area all day? Rather than stay in the Bunratty area, you could go on up to Doolin, seeing the Cliffs of Moher on the way, and head into Connemara the next day. You could stay in Roundstone or Clifden, visit Kylemore Abbey the next day and head back down to Dingle. Connemara is astonishingly beautiful and you really should see it if you have a chance.

Posted by
16 posts

We arrive in Shannon at 9:45 a.m. so I am guessing we will be on the road at 1:00 or so. How is the drive to Doolin in terms of distance and traffic? We will likely be tired and becoming accustomed to driving on the left so we'd like to keep it as easy as possible starting out. Nancy, your suggestion has a lot of appeal.

Posted by
9363 posts

Doolin is maybe an hour from the airport. And it's not so bad learning to drive leaving Shannon. It's a rural area with very little traffic. If you wanted to see Bunratty Castle before heading that way, it's only 6 miles from the airport, and a good first stop after trying your first little bit of driving.

Posted by
484 posts

This is just my personal opinion but Kinsale and Dingle Town are basically the same only Kinsale is larger but Dingle has the better scenery. If you are pressed for time I would skip Kinsale. Also the last week-end in May is a bank holiday,like our three day weekends, and if you are in a popular tourist area lodging could be difficult to fine without prior reservations.

Posted by
8700 posts

Nancy's suggestion of going north first is a good one. However, if you decide to head south first, going as far as Adare would work well. Drive to Kenmare the next day. The drive between Killarney and Kenmare is beautiful. Definitely spend two nights in Dingle. If you want to spend another two nights in one place, you could split the difference between Doolin and Galway and stay in Ballyvaughan.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks all - this is enormously helpful. By the way, we have driven previously in England and in Wales, so this will not be entirely new. Just a litle nerve-wracking at times so we like to start out easy. I am liking the idea of Doolin first. If we spend 2 nights in Doolin, is this a good base for this area including a visit north to Connemara? If we head south next, where is a good place to land for one night on the way to Dingle? I think we will delete Kinsale from our plans. We will definately have reservations before we leave. Thanks for the heads up on the bank holiday.

Posted by
16 posts

One more question - how about staying in Adare the final night? Our flight leaves Shannon at 12:30 p.m. Seems like an easy drive from Adare to Shannon.

Posted by
484 posts

This is just my personal opinion but Kinsale and Dingle Town are basically the same only Kinsale is larger but Dingle has the better scenery. If you are pressed for time I would skip Kinsale. Also the last week-end in May is a bank holiday,like our three day weekends, and if you are in a popular tourist area lodging could be difficult to fine without prior reservations.

Posted by
9363 posts

I'm not sure about staying two nights in Doolin. Ballyvaughan would be better for seeing Connemara from, but it's more of a drive from Shannon on that first afternoon, particularly if you want to see the Cliffs on the way (you need time there). Viamichelin says it's 1 hr, 19 min. to Ballyvaughan, but I'd add at least half again to that estimate.

Posted by
12 posts

Hi! We were there in 2006 and out of all the towns we visited - Dingle was our favorite for its local flavor, pubs, music, and people. We used Rick Steve's book as our daily guide and took his advice to heart on spending a minimum of 3 nights in Dingle and it surely was the best part of our trip. After driving around Ireland from Dublin, to Kinsale, to Dingle, then Galway - Dingle had the best scenery and folk music in the chapels. The pubs were quite unique too. Enjoy your trip! Skip Kinsale if you don't have time and skip the ring of Kerry as Rick advised if you are going to Dingle. Also, avoid driving on Connor Pass at night.