Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary

We have narrowed down out itinerary and wanted thoughts and recommendations.

Fly into Dublin- 2 nights

Fly to Derry -1 night

drive Portrush- 1 night

drive Belfast- 1 night

fly to Cork drive to Dingle-3 night

drive to Galway 3nt

back to Dublin-1 night

We want to see the Northern Ireland but wondered are we spending too much time there?

Are we driving too much and not able to see enough? Are we staying in good areas to see things?
Thanks
Kathy

Posted by
956 posts

Ever since we went to Italy and did 1 night stays in a few towns, I made a rule that we don't do 1 night stays anymore. By the time we travel to the new destination, check into our new place, there's only a half a day to sightsee. And then the 2nd day, you have to check out of your accomodation, find somewhere to leave your luggage, worry about getting to point B, you don't have time to just relax and see stuff. I have a 2 night minimum rule... I think Rick Steves' book suggests the same thing. But isn't Derry really close to Portrush? Couldn't you use Derry as a base to see both towns?

Posted by
484 posts

Have you considered flying out of Shannon instead of Dublin? In my opinion you are definitely not spending too much time in Northern Ireland. There is plenty to see and do there,especially if you include part of Donegal.

Posted by
162 posts

At first glance it feels like you will spend several precious days in Ireland seeing it from the window of a plane or car. The itinerary feels very disjointed to me. What are you planning for the 3 days in the Galway area? If one of them includes Connemarra then maybe what you could do is this instead:

Dublin 2 nights

Fly to Belfast - one night

Drive to Portrush,( one night?) or drive on to Derry

Derry -- one or 2 nights

Drive to Galway - 3 nights ( Connemarra on the way there -- this will be a long day! Then maybe one day to the Aran Islands?) Then one full day in Galway is plenty!

Drive to Dingle by way of the Burren and Cliffs of Moher, Take Tarbert/ Kilmer Ferry. Stay 3 nights.

Drive back to Shannon to fly home.

No point of going to Cork if you don't plan to do anything there. You will waste a whole day in this travel. The way you have it planned, you have at least 2 extra partial days spent in airports and renting and returning 2 different cars. I would rather keep one car and spend the time instead seeing the countryside.

3 nights in Dingle will not be too much. It is beautiful -- you will wish for more time there.

Or fly into Shannon, do Dingle and then on to Galway, Derry, Belfast and Dublin to fly home.

Posted by
484 posts

Is it possible to fly from Dublin to Derry? I would consider taking the train to Belfast,it is only a little over two hours, which would be faster than having to get to the airport at least one hour ahead of time plus the expense of getting there.
Pick up your car in Belfast and drive to Derry,Portrush etc. and then back to the Belfast Airport and fly to Cork.
If you could leave from Shannon it would give you more time in that area and save the drive back to Dublin.

No, you are not driving too much, your itinerary sounds more realistic than most.

Posted by
9363 posts

I agree with Pat, the train to Belfast from Dublin would be a better option than flying. And Janet's itinerary seems a bit better organized.