Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary

I was looking for a little feedback on my tentative itinerary we'll be traveling in late March 2009:
Saturday: Arrive Shannon Airport--Drive to Dingle Peninsula
*Sunday night Dingle
*Monday night dingle
*Tuesday Depart for Doolin, Cross the Shannon Via Tarbert-Killimer Ferry
*Wednesday Doolin to Galway
*Thursday Galway to Dublin
*Depart Sunday.

Is this too much driving? Not enough time in Galway? Not enough time in Dublin?
Cheers!

Posted by
9363 posts

What happened to Saturday night? Two full days in Dingle is probably good. I'm assuming on Tuesday you'll be visiting the Cliffs of Moher on the way to Doolin? I didn't find Galway very interesting, so I'd say that's plenty of time there, but there will people who will disagree. It's probably a good amount of time in Dublin. On one of your full days there you might want to consider visiting Newgrange or Glendalough. As for whether it's too much driving, it wouldn't be for me. Driving is slower than you are used to, but you see such great stuff along the way!

Posted by
1358 posts

I've found that any trip to Europe needs at least 10 days. Going there for a week just seems like a long weekend. Any way you can add a day or two?

We went to Ireland years ago, our itinerary looked a bit like this: 3 days Dublin, 2 days Dingle, 1 day Doolin, 3 days Galway (including a trip to the Aran Islands), then a drive back to Dublin for a night there before flying out.

Galway's worth a day, but there's lots of stuff around there and in Connemara that's worth seeing, too.

Posted by
3253 posts

Hi Keith,
While a longer time would be ideal I'd rather go for 1 week than not at all! I think that your itinerary is a good one! Dingle is one of my favorite towns. We didn't stay in Doolin but drove through there on a recent trip and I regretted that we didn't stay at least one night--it's beautiful. Galway is a great college town with traditional music and fun pubs. For this trip, I think that one night in Dublin is o.k. Have a great trip!

Posted by
484 posts

Are you planning on dropping your car off at Dublin Airport or elsewhere when you first arrive in Dublin? You really do not need,or want, a car in Dublin.

I know some people drop their car off in Galway and take the train or bus on to Dublin.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks so much for the responses...
So overall, you all think 8 nights in Ireland isn't enough. Unfortunately, that is all my teaching schedule allows at this point. Here's another question are there local gaelic games going on the last week of March? I know the club finals are on St. Paddy's day, but will lower level clubs still be playing? Also will there be music in Doolin on a weekday night this early in the season?
Sláinte!

Posted by
8700 posts

Your itinerary looks good to me. Definitely spend two nights in Dingle. You could add a second night in Galway so you could see a bit of Connemara in exchange for one less night in Dublin. Or you could keep your three nights in Dublin and follow Nancy's suggestion of taking a day trip to either Newgrange or Glendalough if you don't want to spend all your time in the city.

Posted by
9363 posts

Late March is really still too early for "tourist season", so it's unlikely you'll find music sessions during the week. When I was last there in February (2007), most pubs had music only Thursday-Sat. nights. In the cities (and probably Doolin) you might find it during the week.

And as far as eight nights not being enough, I have been to Ireland three times for shorter visits than that. I moved fast and saw a lot on the first trip, then spent each of the other trips in a more concentrated area. It might be short but it's better than nothing -- and no matter how long you go, you'll still want to go back.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks again to everyone's help! I am dropping the car off at the airport in Dublin before checking into the hotel. I will consider dropping the car in Galway though...not an option I really considered.

Info for others: I just corresponded with Joan at the Dubhlinn House in Doolin, all four pubs will have music nightly from St. Paddy's day through October.

Posted by
39 posts

You will definitely find trad music in the west in March! All week! We went for two weeks in March 2008 and had no trouble finding great music in Dingle, Doolin, or Galway - weeknights too.

Your trip is quite similar to the end of ours. We drove in to Dingle for a couple of days, drove to the Cliffs, then Doolin - a night there and off to Galway for two mights (left Shannon). If I did it again (which we will this March!) - I'd take another day between Dingle and Doolin - and less time in Galway.

Don't rush - count on the fact that you will want to return . . .

Posted by
319 posts

Your itinerary looks good to me. Definitely don't cut any days from Dingle. You'll love it there and spending a few days in the same place is a good way to settle down after the long flight over.

Enjoy your trip!