Please sign in to post.

Ireland in September

My wife and I are thinking of a trip to Ireland in September 2014. We have traveled to England, Scotland, and other places in Europe. We have been there in the fall and spring. My question is: Is September a good month to make this trip? We know there will be rain, and cool weather, but we are thinking the crowds will be down, and travel will be less rushed. How about the colors in September? Still good?
Thanks

Posted by
337 posts

Hi Terry, We visited Ireland in September of 2010. We had both sun and rain, though no downpours, and cool temps, but pleasant. I think it was a great time to visit because yes, fewer crowds, but most places are still open. I don't remember fall colors. I remember it still being very green and lush. Huge fuchsia bushes in bloom. We got whiffs of peat smoke during the chilly nights in Dingle. I loved that! Since weather is iffy any time, I think September is a great time to go.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you for your feed back. We are really looking forward to going. What I should have ask regarding colors, is it still as green as they say. It sould like it is.

Posted by
1878 posts

We visited in April 2002 and found the weather to be very moderate. You are always going to get rained on some there, but was not so bad. Looking at Yahoo weather the temperatures in September are similar to June. It's a little wetter in the fall than the spring, but not a big deal. I think it would be a great time to go.

Posted by
8664 posts

Terry, the green never goes away. Truly is the Emerald Isle year round. Dress in layers, rent a car, and enjoy. Slainte!

Posted by
2023 posts

We spent 2 weeks in Ireland in Sept/Oct 2013 and it was a great time to visit. It rained some days but only for a short time. A nice advantage of that time of year is many places will have peat or log fires burning-very nice. In fact, we specifically booked accommodations on the availability of fires in the lounge areas. Yes, colors still good as well as gardens such as Powerscourt.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for all the great replies! So, if you are there for 2 weeks, then how much time should you spend in Dublin? And, should we stick to just the south?

Posted by
81 posts

Terry, I think if you took a poll from most on the helpline they would say south and west. We "did" Dublin once and that was enough. I would suggest flying into Dublin and flying out of Shannon. That way you don't have to double back to Dublin. Buy RS' guidebook. It's worth the money. His old shows on Ireland are on Hulu as well. We are actually going in either September or October of 2014. Maybe we'll see you leaving DFW!