Please sign in to post.

Ireland in May

My husband and I are planning a first trip to Ireland in early May. We will fly into Dublin (3 nights) pick up a car when we leave, and fly home from Shannon. We probably will not go farther north than Connemara this trip. Dingle, Doolin, and Galway are on our list for lodging. We like history, hiking, natural beauty, small towns, music, and new experiences. For those who have made this trip, what were the highlights and high points for you? What inland spots did you find interesting? Many thanks.

Posted by
9363 posts

How long is your trip? Do you plan to go south at all? County Tipperary is a beautiful area, with the Knockmealdown Mountains, the Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, etc. Cork, Cobh and Kinsale are not far from that area, also. With a bit more information about your trip, we could give you better suggestions. And though you didn't ask, I would suggest flying into Shannon and out of Dublin instead. Shannon Airport is out in the country, and it's a LOT easier to get used to driving on the other side of the road there. In Dublin you'll be in traffic (been there, done that a couple of times, won't do it again).

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks, Nancy. We have two weeks, 13 days in Ireland. We plan to head south and southwest. Yes, it was appealing to land in Shannon first,
but the flight/travel time was so much longer!

Posted by
635 posts

You might consider getting your car at the Dublin airport and do your touring before coming back to Dublin. A good first day is to go to Newgrange and Knowth first. Later you can see other area sites and end up in Trim to tour the castle that night or in the morning. It's an easy few hours from Trim to Galway. Clonmacnoise is a nice break about the middle of the drive. As for highlights, I suggest you not miss Dingle (at least 2 nights) and see the Rock of Cashel. For natural beauty and hiking, spend a couple of days around Killarney and the national park. I suggest you get the OPW card to give you discounts on attractions and the ability to skip to the head of the line at most sites.

Posted by
1357 posts

We had a similar itinerary on our first trip to Ireland. 2 nights in Dingle is a must, at least. It takes a good bit to get there, so 2 nights would give you one whole day to explore. We rented bikes and rode around the peninsula. Doolin is a good base for the Cliffs and the Burren. You can do 1 or 2 nights here. From Galway, you can do day trips to the Aran Islands and Connemara. You can also get to the Aran Islands from Doolin, so you can take your pick. There's hiking in Connemara National Park. Kylemore Abbey is out that way and is just gorgeous. We also stopped in Clifden while exploring out there. We stopped at Clonmacnoise on our latest trip. It's a beautiful place and well worth the stop.

Posted by
2692 posts

If you like history, hiking, natural beauty, small towns and music, you will love Ireland! My favorite spot in Ireland is Dingle. If you can, spend three nights there, but don't spend less than two. You will want an entire day to tour the peninsula. We took a ferry to Great Blaket Island, which was our favorite thing to do in Dingle. It's incredibly beautiful, and you can hike all over without seeing anyone. If you decide to do this, make sure to read one or more of the books by the islanders - it will enrich your trip. One thing to keep in mind - the ferry only runs if the weather is good. Another favorite spot was Inishmore. Again, you are dependent on good weather to get there. Dublin was my least favorite place in Ireland, but I think three nights there is a good idea. I loved Trinity College with the Book of Kells and other manuscripts, as well as the library. I wish we could have gone to the gaol, but it was closed on Monday, the day we planned to be there (also the last day of our trip). The prehistoric sites of Newgrange and Knowth make a great and easy day trip from Dublin. They are fascinating. From Dublin, I would recommend this route: Cut across to Galway. From there visit Connemara (very beautiful; good hiking) and possibly Inishmore by ferry. Then head south to see the Burren and Cliffs of Moher, using Doolin as a base. From there head to Dingle using the Killimer-Tarbert ferry. Spend your last night somewhere near Shannon.

Posted by
9363 posts

The highlights for me, in no particular order, are: Newgrange, Glendalough, Blarney, Cobh, Cashel, Kenmare, Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Clifden, the Connemara region, Doolin, and Dublin.

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks so much, Nancy, Ken, Maureen, and Carroll....
for your expertise and great advice!

Posted by
441 posts

Carol, my favorite place in Ireland is Killarney National Forest. The Muckross House and Ross Castle should satisfy the history part and the area has beauty that must be seen to be believed. Have a great trip.

Posted by
10173 posts

My favorite place in Ireland was Dingle. We stayed at the Milestone House (car recommended), where we enjoyed the best breakfasts of any place we have stayed in the world. Michael and Barbara are fantastic hosts, providing hand drawn maps of Dingle and the peninsula, and telling you what not to miss. I would spend no less than 2 nights in Dingle. More if you can. Galway was also very enjoyable. We stayed at a B&B in Salt Hill, and walked into old town Galway. We were in Ireland the last week of April last year. I had made reservations everywhere (except the one night in Salt Hill/Galway), but I think you could get by in early May just winging it if you aren't sure how much time you want to spend in each place. Especially with a car. I would reserve in Dublin since you are starting there.

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks, Larry. And thank you, Andrea for the suggestions re Dingle and Galway. We are thinking 3 nights in Dingle, 2 nights in Galway, and the last 2 in Doolin. We are in the initial planning stages. We don't want to rush the inland treasures, after
leaving Dublin, but the coast seems to be calling! We appreciate reading about everyone's favorite spots.

Posted by
655 posts

Most favorite places: Dingle and Newgrange, and anyplace with good, local music. Not so favorite was Dublin.

Posted by
319 posts

Carol, You mention that you're thinking of spending your "last 2 days" in Doolin. Doing so would require you to double back from either Galway or (more likely) Dingle. From Dublin, the most logical itinerary is the one Carroll sketched where you would go Galway/Doolin/Dingle. You haven't said how many days you have in Ireland. I'd make sure that your itinerary leaves a day each for arrival and departure, as well as travel time between cities.

Posted by
9363 posts

Michael, if you read through the responses you will see that Carol said that their trip is 13 days. They are also leaving from Shannon, so Doolin is a logical last stop, since it is closest to Shannon. (Personally, I would spend my last night at Bunratty because it's even closer.) They would only be "doubling back" by an hour or so from Galway, but could actually take an inland route to Galway and the coastal route back, so that they could see different things. The drive back from Dingle to Shannon (as you suggest) would be a killer on the last day, not least because flights out of Shannon tend to leave in the morning, and you have to be there two hours early for the international flight.

Posted by
319 posts

Nancy, I see now that she said 13 days. However, I don't understand your suggested itinerary. Are you suggesting she head from Dublin directly to Dingle? That's a long drive for one day. When I said she should head from Dingle to Shannon on the "last day," I meant her last day in country, not counting her departure day. That way, she'd wake up near the airport and not have to make a long drive from Doolin.

Posted by
9363 posts

Dublin to Dingle is about five hours. They will have already been in country for a couple of days, so jet lag, etc., won't be a factor. But even so, I myself would prefer to stop somewhere along the way, like Cashel. Two nights would be my preference for Dingle. Not sure why you are calling Doolin to Shannon a "long drive" - it's a little over an hour. And as I said, if I were planning it, I would spend the last night at Bunratty, six miles from the airport. Even using the Galway/Doolin/Dingle itinerary, you would still have to double back from Dingle to Shannon - same distance, only stopping in Doolin on the way instead of last. Not that much difference, really.

Posted by
12170 posts

My highlights are very similar to Nancy's. The only thing I would add is THE highlight, a traditional music session ("trad session") at a local pub outside of the bigger cities - they're free but you usually have to ask a local or look for a small announcement on bulletin boards around town. The scenery is great, traditional music is wonderful, fresh Guiness is heavenly.

Posted by
441 posts

Carol, the Trad On The Prom in Salthill has a website that'll give you an idea about it.

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks so much George, Michael, Nancy,, Brad, and Larry. And thanks for the careful reading, Nancy. I really appreciate reading what you all have enjoyed in Ireland. We are taking all suggestions, reading, researching,
and pouring over maps to finalize our plans.

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks so much George, Michael, Nancy, Brad, and Larry. And thanks for the careful reading, Nancy. I really appreciate reading what you all have enjoyed in Ireland. We are taking all suggestions, reading, researching,
and pouring over maps to finalize our plans.

Posted by
8 posts

Our favorite's (in 2 trips) were driving thru Connemara-don't miss Kylemore Abbey, it's stunning. Also, the Ring of Kerry and of course, Dingle! We stayed at Heaton's which had the most lovely breakfast in all of Ireland-the owner, Nuala, is a gem! You could hike around the Dingle peninsula forever. Don't miss the Aran islands-we rented bikes and went around the island (Inishmore)the fort -Dun Aegnus-is a must see! Just don't go too close to the edge!

Posted by
186 posts

Thanks, Jean. When you visited Inishmore, did you leave from
Dingle or from the Galway side?

Posted by
186 posts

Whoops! I meant when you visited Inishmore, did you leave from DOOLIN or the Galway side? Thanks!