Please sign in to post.

Ireland in late July, early August 2011

I realized I put this under the wrong category, so here it is under Ireland! If anyone also wants to help out with best places to stay in Ireland, that's up for decisions! We love the smaller, intimate places where we can meet local people. I am waiting on my husband to agree to drive, as opposed to public transp. I think he will. We know we have 4 days on a company trip in the Wicklow area (Powerscourt)and will get tours in Dublin and the surrounding area during that, but we are coming in 7 days early. I would love to know your best thoughts on places in Dingle, Doolin, Kinsale, Galway and Kilkenny. I had in mind starting with 1 night in Kilkenny, 2 in Kinsale, 2 in Dingle and 2 in Galway, doing trips out from each. There are a lot of people who seem to love Doolin, too. There are some great suggestions out there for places to stay, and I will look into those, too. Appreciate everyone!
Luanne

Posted by
18 posts

Luanne: Some of the best advice anyone gave me before I went to Ireland was not to book anything in advance because you never know what you're going to find and how long you'll really want to stay someplace. The one place I did book in advance (going by their very glamorous website) I was very disappointed with when we got there, although it was worth the stay just to hear the proprietor's story about the town's and the inn's history. The rest of the places were fun surprises: We stumbled upon a humble little B&B in Cashel that had a spectacular view of the Rock of Cashel once inside our room. And a lovely Georgian colonial-style inn by the marina in Kinsale. (I wish I could remember the name!) Humbly-appointed B&Bs that had fun rooftop views of the towns. Pubs also have rooms above them. However, we were there in September so it might be harder to just stumble into a place in July or August. In Galway, we made the mistake of waiting too late in the day to look for a room and had to stay somewhere that reeked of cigarettes, so make sure you starting looking for a room by 3:00 PM at the latest. Driving times take a little longer in Ireland too, so make sure you factor that in.

Posted by
26 posts

I agree that you'd probably be fine without booking in advance, but if you'd rather make reservations then go for it. We booked ahead and were happy with the places we found. Your itinerary seems very reasonable and relaxed, so you'll be fine either way. There are a lot of good B&B's in Ireland, so it's hard to be too disappointed. Here are three that we were happy with: Kilkenny - Carriglea Bed & Breakfast Dingle - O'Neill's Bed & Breakfast Doolin - Daly's House

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you so much! I am trying to not overbook, as we tend to do when we travel, so will build in extra time to drive and stop and look.

Posted by
635 posts

I suggest you get and read Rick's Ireland book. He has suggestions but they would have you shooting all over the island. You need to read about the sites and see what really interests you. Personally, I would suggest you see Glendalough (drive by), Cashell (one night- see the Rock), Killarney (two or three nights - park sights/drive ROK) and Dingle (two nights - drive the loop/pub music). Stay in B&Bs. Eat pub grub. Have a Smithwicks for me. If you get a chance see Newgrange and Knowth. Driving isn't that big a deal in Ireland. After a couple of hours he'll be fully adjusted. An automatic is a worthwhile expense if he's unfamiliar with a manual. Few Americans under 50 are anymore. A company trip to Powerscout? Are they hiring?

Posted by
10 posts

Luanne- We just got back from Ireland this week- if you want to meet friendly locals, you have picked the right country! Dingle- We stayed at the Milestone B&B, which was the highlight of our trip to Ireland. They had the best Irish breakfast and soda bread, and the hosts were so helpful, friendly and fun to talk with- lovely people. Galway- We stayed at the Griffin Lodge, which was very basic, small rooms, but affordable, and a great location. Ann, the owner is an absolute riot- she is so friendly and fun.