Please sign in to post.

Ireland in April

We are planning a trip to Ireland in 2014. For business reasons my brother and sister-in-law want to go in April. What is the weather in April? Would it be a pleasant trip or cold and rainy?

Posted by
1819 posts

We were there most of April, 2012. We enjoyed the weather - it rained every day but it never rained for a looooooong time. Occasionally it would rain really hard, usually it was more showers. Temperatures were "sweater weather." Typical Ireland weather seems to be three or four showers a day, then cloudy, then a bit of sun. It's like the Pacific Northwest. Take a waterproof (not water resistant) hooded jacket....For ten-year averages, check out weatherbase.com

Posted by
2362 posts

We have been very fortunate in numerous trips to Ireland as we never had heavy down pours but highly suggest what previous poster said. Had water resistant jacket with hood so no need for umbrella, to me it is just too bothersome to carry one any place ever. As previous poster said, check ten year average and then prepare for something out of the ordinary. Enjoy, it is one of our favorite places ever visited.

Posted by
9363 posts

My first trip to Ireland was in April. We mostly wore sweatshirts. At the Cliffs of Moher it was wilding windy, which made it colder, but we also had a day or two where we wore short sleeved shirts with no jackets. In short, no one can predict, but prepare for "soft weather" or light rain. It would be unusual for it to be dry. But as a previous poster said, it never rained for a long time, and certainly didn't hinder us at all. Pluses for April travel: no crowds, and there are wildflowers everywhere, as well as lambs.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks. It sounds doable. Wildflowers and lambs are a plus!