Please sign in to post.

Ireland In April

Hi,,,My Wife and I will be celebrating our Anniversary Driving thru Ireland..We have Plotted out the Route.Starting in Dublin, Cork, Cliffs of Moher, Galway, One night at Ashford Castle & back to Dublin. Any Suggestions On 3 B & B's to stay. & sights?.Also cannot Find any pricing for dining at Ashford Castle, Is it that Pricey?..Thank you For any Help ..Al

Posted by
9363 posts

What towns do you plan to stay in? How many days is your trip all together? I'd be happy to make suggestions if you provide a few more details. As far as pricing for dining at Ashford Castle, the Ashford Castle website has menus, including prices, for all of its various restaurant options at: http://www.ashford.ie/food-wine.html

Posted by
5 posts

Hi...Thank you...7 day six nights.....we Start in Dublin 1st night (Maldron Hotel)...Next 3 nights are at B & B's of our choosing, we want to make our way down to Cork & Blarney(1 night). Next on to Cliff of Moher (1 night), then onto Galway (3rd B & B night)..Our 5th night will be at Ashford Castle and then back to Dublin at Maldron hotel......Thsi is our first visit & We are very open to any suggestions and what to see near the B&B's..we will be driving...any suggestions on the B&B's do not have to be right in the towns, but close......Again Thank you very much..Al

Posted by
9363 posts

In Blarney, I can suggest The White House, which is a very short drive from Blarney Castle, not far from the city center. The breakfast was great, and the host very helpful in routing us around Cork traffic as we left the area. In the Cliffs area, we had a great experience at Moher Lodge, which is on the road from Liscannor to the Cliffs (about five minutes from the Cliffs themselves). The hosts, the Considines, told us all about the local slate from which the farm field walls are built.

Posted by
9363 posts

Al, I wouldn't skip Blarney at all. Regardless of whether you plan to kiss the stone or not, the Blarney Castle area is beautiful. The grounds are extensive, with lots to explore, and there is a dolmen on the property, too. In addition, there is a huge Blarney Woollen Mills store across the road. As it's your first trip, you probably want to visit iconic sites, and Blarney is definitely one of them.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you Nancy........Has anyone dined at Ashford Castle & is it worth the cost. The atmosphere looks great or is that what you are paying for?......Thanks again......

Posted by
4 posts

Is there a compelling reason to go to Blarney (other than kissing some silly stone)? I'd skip it and Cork alltogether and head straight for the Dingle Peninsula, then Cliffs of Moher, etc.

Posted by
5 posts

Hi....1st time in Ireland and don't have a clue on what to see or do......Just what we read.....any suggestions on can't misses or B&B's along the way...would be appreciated...thanks

Posted by
5 posts

Hi....Think We're getting there on itinerary...6 nights ...3 nights in B&B"S along Route. Starting in Dublin,nt 1....Is the drive from Dublin to Blarney too much in one day?...or should we stay in Kilkenny overnight?..or stay in Blarney nt 2.....Night 3 a stay in Kinsale or Kenmare?.....where to stay nt 4?.......Our Nt 5 is at Ashford Castle.....Nt 6 in Dublin.....What are must sees along these Routes...first time in Ireland....thank you....Nancy we have taken some of your advise..just trying to fine tune it now,,thanks

Posted by
9363 posts

Dublin to Blarney, without stops, is going to be upwards of a three hour drive (more like 3:30), with about 2/3 of it being on the motorway. That wouldn't bother me at all, but you have to decide how far you are willing to go in a day. Since it won't be your first day in country, it would make a nice day's drive, with stops for photos, etc., along the way. You should arrive in Blarney with plenty of time to see the castle and surrounds before dark. Then you could stay in Blarney on night 2. The host at The White House just loves Kinsale and would be happy to direct you on the best route to get there if you want. You might consider seeing Cobh, then heading to Kinsale. Kenmare is a great little town, too. Either would make a nice stop.