Please sign in to post.

Ireland in a week

Let me first say this trip is obviously kind of last minute and still being planned... We will be flying into Dublin on the 12th of March. We were thinking of doing a tour with Galway/Dublin Tour Company on the 13th, 14th, and 15th (ABC Tour: Cliffs of Moher & Burren, Aran islands, Connemara & Cong Tour with hostel accom. in Galway). Then we have until the 20th and were going to rent a car. We will either fly from Cork or Dublin or maybe even Shannon!? over to UK..still working on that, though there are lots of flights available. My question is, what are some MUST SEE's in the South besides the sites we see on the tour? We were thinking Rock of Cashel, Blarney Castle, Dingle Peninsula and Cobh, but we have about 4.5 days...what can we honestly make happen? I should add we are 23 so we know we'll be paying extra for the car, which is why we don't want it the entire trip. We don't have to worry about jetlag either as we're coming from Germany. I know we'll be there during St. Patrick's day but we are not interested in any huge parties etc, it just happened to fit into our plans. Thanks a bunch!

Posted by
9369 posts

Blarney and Cobh are very close together (we stayed in Blarney and did Cobh as part of a day trip). You should definitely try to see the Rock of Cashel. Between the Cashel and Blarney lies Cahir (pronounced "care"), where there is a great castle. You could drive over to Cashel, then down to Cahir, Blarney, and Cobh. To do Dingle properly you might need two nights there at least, and you could see a lot more if you skip it on this trip. Midleton and its whiskey distillery are not far from Cobh, either. You could then fly out of Cork to the UK.

Posted by
57 posts

Thanks so much. Also, I read on another forum that it was very difficult driving past Limerick, so I am concerned about getting from the Shannon airport (where we pick up our car) and driving south, especially as it will be our first time driving on the opposite side. Any thoughts?

Posted by
9369 posts

I would avoid driving through Limerick, yes, but you can take the road around it. Just don't get shuffled into the city center accidentally. You could avoid the area, if you decide to go to Dingle, by taking the ferry across the River Shannon at Tarbert.

Posted by
57 posts

Ah that sounds perfect! Where can I find more information about the ferry? I can just take a rental car then I'm assuming? Thanks :)

Posted by
9369 posts

We were told about the ferry by our B&B hosts in Liscannor. We just drove there with no information. You pay at the office at the riverside and drive your car onto the ferry. The crossing takes about twenty minutes.

Posted by
105 posts

Here is the website for the ferry Katie
http://www.shannonferries.com/ There is a motorway/dual carriageway from Shannon through Limerick City (with a tunnel under the river Shannon), so you will just about know that you passed through Limerick. It will be quicker (30 minutes?) going via Limerick, but probablu more scenic going via the ferry. Enjoy your visit.