Please sign in to post.

Ireland in 7 days?

My husband & I just booked our 3 week trip to Europe, we are sooo excited. We arrive in Dublin on Friday, March 12th at 9:10am. We are renting a car the whole time we're there, we want to see as much as we can. However, we do have reservations in Dublin on 3/16-3/18 (for St. Patrick's Day). We thought about driving to Galway, staying there the first night (3/12), then Saturday the 13th driving to Dingle, and staying 1-2 nights there. We definitely want to see The Burren & and The Cliffs of Moher. We would also really like to make it to Cork/Blarney. Do you think it's possible to see all of this and get back to Dublin on 3/16? We check out of our hotel in Dublin on 3/18, and have a room booked near the Dublin airport on 3/19 (6:10am flight to Venice Saturday am). So, we do have the 18th/19th free as well.

Please let me know if you think this is doable!

Posted by
9363 posts

Trying to get from Galway, through the Burren and to the Cliffs before driving all the way to Dingle for the night is going to be a very long day. Just driving straight from Galway to Dingle would be a 4 hr drive or so. And you're going to want to allow time to see the Cliffs and the Burren, not just drive past. Of course, taking the Killimer-Tarbert ferry across the River Shannon will save a little time over going around through Limerick, but not a lot. You might want to consider stopping somewhere along the way and going the rest of the way to Dingle on the morning of day #3. And yes, it would be possible to get to Cork and Blarney and back to Dublin by the 16th, but you need to watch your distances and driving times. Check www.viamichelin.com for routing and driving times, but add about 20% to their time estimates.

Posted by
113 posts

I agree with Nancy. Do you really need to go to Galway? If not, think about driving to Doolin (or nearby) for the first night. That puts you very near the Cliffs. Get an early start the next day to see the Cliffs and the Burren before heading south. Since you are on a fast track, stay only one night in Dingle. You might want to skip Dingle this trip, depending on how much time you linger at the Cliffs and Burren. Then you would have more time for Cork, Blarney and other sights along the way back to Dublin (Rock of Cashel, Glendalough, Powerscourt).

I don't have a 2010 calender to look at, so I'm a little confused on your dates. A suggestion for the 18th or 19th is Newgrange. It's about an hour north of the airport. Or spend more time exploring Dublin.

You have a very aggressive itinerary, but you will enjoy every bit of it. Just remember that you will have to return someday.

Posted by
1288 posts

We drove from Dingle to Galway in a day and stopped at The Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, and the Burren. I have to admit that we did not spend much time at the Burren because it was pouring down rain, but that gave us a little extra time to stop in at a craft sale in one of the villages we drove through. Get an early start, but it is doable. Cork did not make a great impression on me...a large city that is a pain to drive through. However, we did not spend much time there.

Posted by
46 posts

Thank you all SO much for all of your info! What do you think about this? Am I missing anything I shouldn't miss?

Arrive in Dublin at 9:10am on the 12th, drive to The Burren, explore, stay in Doolin.

13th - Explore the Cliffs, drive to Dingle.

14th - Explore Dingle, drive to Kinsale

14th & 15th - Stay in Kinsale, see Cork, Blarney

16th - check out of Kinsale & drive back to Dublin through the Wicklow Mountains.

Let me know what you think!!

Posted by
46 posts

Oh, and then the 16th-19th exploring Dublin. I figure we'll arrive in the evening of the 16th, maybe go to a few pubs, the 17th is St. Patrick's Day - take in the festival/parade, then the 18th - Hop on & off bus tour, and explore the 18th & 19th.

Posted by
1357 posts

The drive to Galway from Dublin will take most of your first day, which won't give you any time at all in Galway itself. I agree about staying somewhere a little further south, like Doolin, which will give you more time the the Cliffs and the Burren.

Posted by
977 posts

I would definitely give Cork a miss. Check out distance/driving time for Dingle to Cashel. Good advice to stay in Doolin rather than Galway. From my experience, I would avoid hiring a car in Dublin. Take a day tour to Newgrange and/or Glendalough. If you have the energy on your first day in Dublin, do the Hop On Hop Off bus tour to gie you an overview.