Please sign in to post.

Ireland in 13 days

Is 13 days long enough to cover Northern (Belfast) as well as the South? Can anyone recommend a horse farm we could visit? Which areas are "not to be missed"? Our first trip to Ireland. Thank you.

Posted by
635 posts

I've not been yet but plan on going this year. I've been putting together my plan and 13 days is not enough time to really see Ireland. You could, of course, drive from major site to major site but it would be pretty rushed. Your choice, of course.

Get Rick's book. He recommends a frantic 23 days to see the key sites. I'm using the book and I'll be taking a relaxed tour of the southern part of Ireland in 12 days. I won't be doing his frantic tour of the south so I'll miss many of the sites in his recommended tour.

The "not to miss" horse farm for RS Ireland is the National Stud. I don't plan to go there myself.

Posted by
180 posts

We did a fast paced 13 days in Ireland last year...and saw both the north and the south/west. We drove the whole time which was good so we could set our own pace.

In 13 days we did Dublin & surrounds (Newgrange, Tara, etc), Wicklow (Glendalough), Kilkenny, Cashel, Cahir, Muckross House, Dingle, Cliffs of Moher/ Burren, Galway, Donegal, Derry, Antrim Coast & Belfast.

It was fast paced, we only spent multiple days in Dingle and Dublin...but we like a fast paced travel.

I felt that Dingle was not to be missed, as well as Newgrange.

So my short answer is yes--- in 13 days you can see the north and the south, you just have to be ready for a few long car rides! Enjoy!

Posted by
9363 posts

We stayed at a B&B located on a farm where they raise and train jumping horses. It was April, and they let us visit the barn to see their new foals, too. The B&B, Ardfield, is in Ballinhassig, south of Cork.

Posted by
484 posts

It depends on whether you are a tourist or a traveler. You can do it in 13 days if you are a run from point A to point B tourist. If you really want to see Ireland, slow down,take your time and do either the north half or south half of the country. There is an awful lot to be said for spending a rainy Saturday afternoon in a country pub conversing with the locals as opposed to speeding through the countryside trying to reach your next stop in order to stay on schedule.

Posted by
333 posts

You could see most of the major sites in 13 days if you wanted to do a grand tour type of route. You can get between most major cities in 6-7 hours on the motorways.

If you want to see horses then make sure you go to Co Galway and Co Mayo

Posted by
334 posts

Also check out irelandexpert.com. Great information just on Ireland.

Posted by
29 posts

I have sent you a Private Message.
Look in your 'My Profile' -
Slainte!