Please sign in to post.

Ireland in 10 days

First trip to Ireland is planned for the summer of 2011. Planning to fly into/out of Dublin. Rick's itinerary is for 14+ days (I have the 2011 Ireland book). What is the best bet for 10 days with the not-to-miss sights and more? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Posted by
1035 posts

A few tips. Don't budget a lot of time for Dublin. It's ok, but with 10 days there are better things to see. Rent a car if you can, it will maximize your options. Don't be afraid to consider some time in the North. Let Ireland come to you. Wander off the beaten path, spend time in small town pubs. Take the road less taken. Avoid tourist traps and tour buses. If you have any Irish ancestors, visit where they came from.

Posted by
9363 posts

Are you absolutely set on flying into and out of Dublin? Depending on what you want to see it can be a better use of your time to fly into Shannon and out of Dublin, or the other way around. If you are planning to rent a car, Shannon is a much easier area in which to get used to driving on the other side of the road (in Dublin, you exit onto a very busy main street).

Posted by
2716 posts

I would suggest Dublin 2 nights, Galway or Clifden 2 nights (seeing Connemara Nat'l Park, Doolin 2 nights (seeing the Burren and Cliffs of Moher), and Dingle 2 nights, then back to Dublin with one stop en route. If this seems a little rushed, drop Galway/Clifden and spend an extra night in Dingle and Doolin. If your 10 days includes travel to and from Ireland, you will definitely have to drop Galway/Clifden or drop Dingle.

Posted by
3696 posts

Definitely fly into Shannon and out of Dublin, if possible. Very easy to get the car and as posted earlier to get used to the driving. I suggest an automatic if you are not used to the driving. Made it easier for me. Just get a map and explore... its an easy country to do that in. Hang out at the pubs and ask the locals. There is a rather hair-raising driving through the Dingle Peninsula (can't remember the name) but you can by pass that if you like. I have driven lots of places and I was white knuckled... but the rest of the country was not a problem. You can take a train from Shannon to Dublin or drop the car in Dublin as you will be used to the driving by then. The scenery is beautiful but it is really true that you go to Ireland for the people!
Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
8 posts

I would fly in and out of Shannon and just see the North and West. The west feels like the "real" Ireland. Do not miss the Aran islands! Dingle is wonderful! The scary pass is called Conor pass and we accidently did it at night-terrifying!