Please sign in to post.

Ireland England

My wife and I are traveling to London and Brighton for a business meeting. We have 5 extra days and would like to visit Ireland - October 23 - October 28. Seeking input/guidance as best means to travel from London to Dublin, hotels in Ireland, sites to see and best method of travel. Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated. Jim

Posted by
9363 posts

Everyone has their own opinions about what to see in Ireland. But we don't know what you might be interested in. Your time is short, so you might want to start by looking at some guidebooks to see what is where, and what you might like to do. Then we can help you narrow it down, and can make hotel/B&B recommendations when we know what towns you are asking about. The best way to get around, though, is usually rental car (unless you only want to stay in cities, where you can use public transportation).

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have a copy of an Ireland guide book yet? If so, great. If not, I would recommend you get one as soon as possible to help in your planning and since you are traveling there in just over 3 weeks, I would hurry up and make hotel reservations. I used a RS Ireland Guide book to plan for our trip there and found it very helpful. If you are still needing a guide book, you can order the one from RS elsewhere on this web site.

Posted by
8638 posts

As noted getting a copy of the RS Ireland guide would be of benefit to you in so many ways. As far traveling across the Irish Sea, fly. Not cheap unless you are willing to travel with one small bag and wish to fly in and out of airports away from the city centers. Then Ryan Air or Easy Jet are your options. Did it once and given the time and cost then spent getting into London said not again. I'm there the same time and will British Air from Belfast to London, Heathrow. My preference. When in Ireland and Northern Ireland having a car is the BEST way to enjoy the island's beauty. You'll need Euros (for Eire) and British Pounds for NI. Also be sure to have a rain coat.

Posted by
9363 posts

Claudia is misinformed. Ryanair flies directly into the main Dublin airport, not some outlying airport. There are a number of other budget airlines that do, as well. EasyJet, however, does not fly to Dublin at all from London. You can shop budget airlines at www.whichbudget.com. Some of the larger carriers, like Aer Lingus and Iberia, also run inexpensive routes from London to Dublin

Posted by
5326 posts

What Claudia has written seems to me to be about the relative remoteness of Standsted at the London end.

Posted by
9363 posts

Perhaps, but the OP is flying from London to Dublin, so will be landing at the main airport. And EasyJet is not an option because they don't fly between Dublin and London. And there are many other options, not just those two.

Posted by
8638 posts

You know I was just offering the names of cheap airlines flying from England to Ireland so the original poster would be able to research the cheapest means of travel. Since Belfast is only 2 hours from Dublin shouldn't the OP have the option of flying there as well. And yes I was saying Standsted is not in the city center. Heaven forbid in offering up the names of a couple of cheap airlines for the OP to research I gave out misinformation.

Posted by
9363 posts

The OP says they want to fly to Dublin. Belfast seems a bit distant to suggest when there are several airlines that could get them to Dublin.

Posted by
9110 posts

Justifying bad scoop doesn't make it good scoop. Tossing out things that don't exist turns confusion into chaos. The OP probably wanted information, not a bunch of new paths to explore - - some with dead ends. The hour from central London to either Stansted or Luton is a bit different in time and money from making your way from Belfast to Dublin. Using one of all of the London airports except City, you can get to Dublin for under two hundred bucks on either RA, BA, AF, or AL. The over-all cheapest is probably tubing out to Heathrow and tossing a hundred and twenty-five bucks at the BA people.

Posted by
9110 posts

Yeah, but the question was London -> Dublin. We don't have the honor of knowing what else is going on. Second guessing would be akin to sticking Belfast in again, or maybe driving up to Manchester, who knows? Jim probably left in the dustbowl of confusion, anyway.

Posted by
8638 posts

Nancy you've twice posted there are other cheap airline options that fly London to Dublin. Information would be appreciated by the OP and the rest of us. Do share.

Posted by
5 posts

I can fly of Gatwick or Heathrow, just seeking ideas as to best method from London to Dublin. Plan to leave London on October 24 and retrun on October 29. I looked at a tour option that involved train and ferry, but I spend all day each direction. Also seeking hotel options in Dublin area and if you recommend renting a car to tour Ireland, along with recommended Irelans sites to visit Thanks for assistance Jim Beeson

Posted by
2359 posts

Jim, just a word of caution, delete your last name from your posting, you never know who is lurking out there and you have posted the days you are away, your full name and your city.

Posted by
9363 posts

Well, in addition to Ryanair, Iberia, and Aer Lingus, which I already mentioned, there are direct flights on Air France, as well as numerous indirect flights on Iberia, Air Berlin, Lufthansa, and just about any other airline you can think of (and some that might not have ever heard of before). Ryanair and Aer Lingus fly out of Gatwick. Aer Lingus and British Airways both have direct flights into Dublin from Heathrow. If prices were comparable I would probably choose Aer Lingus over Ryanair, though I have no problem at all with Ryanair.

Posted by
9110 posts

Good move on the train-ferry nix, but you can easily go that route yourself. If you fly the cheapie carriers, study every rule or the bargain poofs magically. You've got four and a half potential days you could use a car. Figure at least one and a half in Dublin, now you're down to sleeping somewhere else for three nights, max. You can get a good dose in that amount of time and using a car makes it easy. You're the one that has to figure out what or what kinds of things you want to see.