Please sign in to post.

Ireland

Going to Ireland in May for 2 weeks. Will have a car but would like to use up one week at a timeshare, then travel around the 2nd week. What area of ireland would you suggest staying for one week and exploring a 200 km radius?

Posted by
606 posts

I'd make a base in the southwest for day trips. Lots to see there including the scenic beauty of Rings of Dingle and Kerry, and the interesting cities of Kenmare, Killarney and Cork.

Of course, there are lots of other great places to base. Really can't go wrong. But the southwest is my personal favorite.

Posted by
92 posts

My favorite place in Ireland is County Donegal. It's not as crowded as, say, the Dingle Penninsula, or the Ring of Kerry Area, but still beautiful. There's lots to see, and do, and Northern Ireland is close enough for day trips. I could go on and on. If you want more info, send me a private message. :)

Posted by
22 posts

My votes would go to hanging around counties Galway and Clare where you can enjoy the coastal beauties (galway, cliffs of moher, aran islands) while definitely seeing some of the inland charm as well.

Otherwise, I would recoomend staying in Glendalough in County Wicklow, Ireland's mountainous area south of Dublin with really pretty lakes, rivers, and old monastaries etc.

Posted by
124 posts

In 2 trips to Ireland in 3 years, we have done a coastal loup from Dublin, around the south coast to Galway, and then from Galway to Donegal. Our 2 favorite areas are: (1) SW Ireland, and our favorite small town is Kenmare. Kenmare would be a good base for 1 week of exploring. (2) NW Ireland, and 2nd favorite small town is Westport. It also would be a good base for 1 week of exploring.

From Kenmare, you can explore Ring of Kerry, Berra Pen. Dingle Pen. and the Bantry/Scibbereen/Baltimore area.

From Westport, you can see 2 of the 3 tallest cliffs in Europe: The cliffs near Keem beach on Achill Island west of Westport, and the Slieve League Cliffs west of Donegal, but that would be a long day trip. NW Ireland offers Croagh Patrick, and Knocknarea 2 mountains that you can climb for some fantastic scenic views from the top. From Westport, you could also head south to Cliffs of Moore, but that too would be a long day trip.

For traditional music, Gurteen and Doolin were are favorites, and Galway a close 3rd. The Irish people in Westport/Gurteen/Donegal were very friendly.

Hope this helps...it is a tough decision, and remember you can, and probably will, return some day. I am already thinking about our 3rd trip!

Posted by
484 posts

If you enjoy being a traveler instead of a tourist go to Donegal and Northern Ireland.
You definitely will be glad you did.