Please sign in to post.

Ireland by Train?

I want to plan a "semi-relaxed" trip to Ireland. I'm taking my 12 year old on his first "big" vacation in June, and don't want to overplan. We're flying into Dublin (already purchased). I want to spend 6 nights in Ireland. I'd like to only use the train system for ease & cost efficiency (but am willing to consider a car if it makes more sense.) Tentative plan: first 2 nights in Dublin, 2 nights Dingle, 1 night Galway, and 1 night (?) near ferry ride out of country. Then plan to take a ferry to Scotland or Wales (would appreciate any tips on that too). Is this reasonable by train or is a car necessary? Thank you for you help.

Posted by
9363 posts

Train service is limited in the west of Ireland. You could get everywhere you want to by bus (use the Journey Planner at www.busireann.ie), but you might be happier with a car. It gives you much more flexibility - you can stop if you see something interesting along the way, and you can stay only as long as you like at any one place. I would suggest taking the bus or train from Dublin to Galway, and renting there. For one thing, it's a little easier to get used to driving on the other side of the road in the west, where there is less traffic than in Dublin. You won't have to pay an airport pickup fee either.

Posted by
1167 posts

I think you might to better by bus than by train. For example, there is no train to Dingle and the bus from Dublin to Galway is about as fast as the train with more frequent service.
http://www.buseireann.ie/

Posted by
635 posts

Six nights aren't very much. I generally don't recommend public transportation but you can entertain a 12 year old for six days without a car with careful planning. Unfortunately, I suggest you forget about Dingle without a car. A train from Dublin (but not Galway) can get you to Tralee which is close but then you need to take a bus that only runs a few of times a day from Tralee to Dingle. The frequency depends on the season. IMHO, I also don't think that Dingle is going to impress a 12 year old that much if you can't drive the loop. You can easily fill two days just in Dublin. North of Dublin is the Boyne Vally with a battlefield, Hill of Tara and Newgrange/Knowth (monolithic tombs). These can be seen on a day trip out of Dublin. Trim has a beautiful castle ruin that can be reached by bus from Dublin. You can also do a day trip to the south of Dublin to the early Christian ecumenical center of Glendaloch. Galway is easy to reach by train or bus from Dublin. There are day trips from Galway to the Cliffs of Mohr, the Aran Islands and the Connemara. On such a short trip, I'd recommend you stick with Dublin and Galway.

Posted by
191 posts

I love Dingle, but to get there and make the best of your time, you'll need to rent a car and it is worth the cost for the ease of use. I use Enterprise and have had good experience with them. I haven't rented at the airport, I tend to rent from the location closest to me. After your 2 nights in Dublin, you could take the dublin bus or the aircoach (my preference) out to the airport and pick up your rental, then you can just hop on the M50 and head south.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you so much for the tips - I am grateful. I can see how a car is really the best choice.

Posted by
105 posts

A car really is the best choice Sheri, even where the trains/buses go to your location, you will still be faced with hauling luggage (as well as a 12 year old) from station to hotel, to sight seeing areas, back to hotel, back to station?? It may not work out as a "semi-relaxed" holiday. Enjoy it whichever way you go!