Please sign in to post.

Ireland

We'll be spending 6 days in Ireland in September...driving ourselves...going to the west/southwestern part. I've heard that driving time can be longer than anticipated so I'm wondering if we should get reservations in these little places or just wing it.

Posted by
9110 posts

There a are several "drive and stay" programs in Ireland -google around and you'll find them. Essentially you get the car, a bunch of vouchers for B&B's, and a list of places that accept the things. I've never had a problem doing it this way. BUT I try to avoid traveling in the summer, so have no thought here.

Posted by
33 posts

Judy - we just got back from Ireland - we only had
a reservation for our first night. we never had a
problem finding a place (october is a great time to
wing it) - everyone is correct about the driving
times - it does take longer than you think but we
never minded getting stopped by sheep or cows in the
road!

Posted by
1540 posts

I agree, I just returned from 8 days in Ireland.
Had a fly and drive pkg via Sceptre Tours.
We had 7 nights in a condo in Adare. We found driving took longer than expected on Irish roads.
But, I can report that at almost every town and village we saw many signs for B&Bs. I have see pkgs fly & drive with vouchers for stopping at B&Bs when you want to.

Posted by
9363 posts

In September you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you pick up a B&B directory at a Tourist Information desk so you can look ahead to the next area to see what might be available.