Please sign in to post.

Ireland

Hello! I am planning a trip to Ireland in May. I want to fly in and out of Dublin and then rent a car to drive around to various cities in the country. My question is, should I reserve a rental car when I book my flight to Dublin or should I wait and get a rental car when I arrive in the city? Thank you!

Posted by
1878 posts

I agree that you should book ahead. I have had good results booking with Autoeurope in seven or eight different countries, including Ireland.

Posted by
9363 posts

Book now, especially if you want an automatic. Then you can keep watching the prices as the trip approaches, and change bookings if you see a better deal. There is no advantage to waiting. You will also want Super CDW insurance to give you a $0 deductible in case of an accident.

Posted by
2 posts

Do you recommend a certain website for reserving a car, or would I be better off doing a deal on one of the various websites that include flight and car?

Posted by
9363 posts

I have used Irish Car Rentals in the past, but I would go with whichever gives me the best price. A flight/car deal might be better or might not - and it might make you less flexible if you want to change your rental later. Autoeurope is a consolidator that uses lots of different companies, so that might save you some individual checking around. You will just have to run the numbers yourself to see what is the best deal.

Posted by
12172 posts

Booking ahead makes sense, but not for the day you arrive in Dublin - book it for the day you plan to leave Dublin.

Posted by
635 posts

It makes a lot of sense to rent your car well in advance but continue to look for specials as your travel date gets closer. I suggest picking your car up at the Dublin airport and then finishing your trip actually in Dublin. You could either bring the car back to the airport or drop it off somewhere else and bus or train into Dublin. You really need to plan what you want to see. The airport bus is very convenient into/out of Dublin. On your first day you could see Newgrange and Knowth which are just north of the airport. There are other attracting in the Boyne Vally. Trim Castle was also nice.