Please sign in to post.

Ireland

I am a first time traveller...would it be crazy to visit Ireland in December?

Posted by
9363 posts

It's never crazy to go to Ireland! You might find a fair number of heritage sites closed for the season or with reduced hours, though. You won't have many hours of daylight, either. I've gone twice in February and found the temps to be much more moderate than they were at home in IL.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Nancy, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe a spring trip instead.

Posted by
484 posts

April would be preferable to December but if you can only go in December go for it. You certainly will not have hoards of tourists to contend with.

Posted by
12172 posts

December wouldn't be my first choice. It's probably not drastically different than the Oregon Coast in December. Be ready for rain and cold. Bring a water/wind proof shell, a fleece, wool socks and water proof shoes. Add some layers for warmth and you will be fine.

Posted by
333 posts

A lot of B&Bs are closed Nov-Feb as well as a lot of the attractions. It will also get dark by 4:00 in December.

Posted by
3 posts

I really appreicate your replies and thanks all for letting me know the issues that may arise by going to Ireland in December. As you noticed, I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. Will schedule the trip for April or May - and also get a couple of Ireland travel books.