Please sign in to post.

Ireland

Is it too much to drive from Kinsale, around the Ring of Kerry and get to Dingle for the night?

Posted by
9110 posts

If you're talking about Kinsale, Tralee, across the top and to the west, and back as far as Dingle - - it's five or six hours of road time. Stops are extra. Not going all the way to the western tip will cut about two hours, maybe a bit less.

Posted by
3 posts

Ed, I should have been clearer. I was thinking of leaving Kinsale in the morning, driving around the "Ring of Kerry" and than driving up to Dingle for the night.

Posted by
9363 posts

If you want to go totally by coast road (N71 to Kenmare, then N70 around the Ring, and N86 to Dingle), Via Michelin shows it at 5 hr 36 min. Adding 25% to get a more realistic time estimate, that makes it about 7 hours without stops. Add in photo ops, lunch, getting a little turned around, etc. It would be a long driving day, but doable if you are traveling in a season when it doesn't get dark very early.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks have decided to spend the night in Kenmare, allowing us to drive N-71 to Beara Peninsula and end the day at Kenmare. Leaving Ring of Kerry for the next day.

Posted by
9110 posts

Good decision and good scoop by Nancy. Let me fess up that my first master's was in geography and I was picturing the Dingle Peninsula, not the Ring of Kerry. When we did Kerry, it was a circle from Killarney and we spent the whole day with a very early start and a very, very late supper.