Please sign in to post.

Ireland

I will be flying into Dublin and renting a car at the airport. The only flight I could get was overnight. Our first night accommodation is in Trim. What is the easiest way for an American driver to get away from the airport?

Posted by
2876 posts

Just ask the rental car people for a map and directions out of the airport to Trim. Or rent a GPS from them. I'm sure they'll help you. The drive from Dublin airport to Trim is pretty easy, less than an hour. Of course you'll be driving on the "wrong" side of the road, but that's part of the Irish adventure.

Posted by
80 posts

It is a very direct route. After the mess of the M1/M50..you just head north on the N3..though there is still a bit of construction going on..it is easy to get to Trim.

Posted by
319 posts

Edna,

You shouldn't have much trouble getting to Trim, but I think a GPS is absolutely essential for driving in Ireland. I can't recommend them highly enough! Make sure you download the latest Ireland map update so that your GPS has the latest information. In the west, you'll still find roads that the GPS doesn't know about, but the GPS will be much more current than a map.

Posted by
9369 posts

I've never used a GPS in Ireland (but I will next time I go) and I got along just fine. The N3 is a nice road, and you shouldn't have any problems getting to Trim.

Posted by
635 posts

You'll be getting in very early in the morning and you will be at Trim before your B&B has finished breakfast. You might want to consider heading north and taking in Newgrange and Knowth tombs. There are other Boyne Valley sites to see as well. You can still get to Trim in time to see the castle on the first day.

Posted by
319 posts

Yes, you CAN drive in Ireland without GPS and survive, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD. The drive to Trim is relatively straightforward, but presumably you'll be doing more driving than just that. A GPS will make sure that you get where you're going with minimal stress.

Posted by
9369 posts

I think it's a little overly optomistic to think that you will "be in Trim before your B&B finishes breakfast". When I fly from Chicago, the flight gets in between 9:00 and 9:30. Then you have to get your luggage, go through passport control, do your rental car paperwork, get to the car, get settled and then start your drive. It will be nearer to lunch time than breakfast if you go straight there. Going first to Newgrange is a good idea, though, since the earlier in the day you arrive, the better your chances of getting in (at some times of the year it can be tough).

Posted by
27 posts

Before I had a build in GPS in my car, I had a Garmin. I purchased the Ireland software for it after finding renting one for the trip from the car hire company (Hertz) would cost more than the $90 from Garmin. I have simulated runs from the airport to the b&b in rush and followed it on the Ireland Automobile Association maps to know about the roundabouts to get on M1 North and where to exit. I think it'll be fine that way. I have all my B&B's programmed in and may do other parts once there. I know there will be some errors so I always look at maps to have a good idea of what is happening. Since I am 3 hours to JFK, I am doing a simulated run to our long term parking today.

Posted by
6 posts

I don't think getting out of the airport will be as much as a problem as returning the car to the airport. A couple weeks ago, there was a lot of construction going on at the Dublin airport and there were no signs directing us to where the car hire return was. We had Budget and it took about 40 min of driving around to find out where to return the car. BTW, highly recommend Newgrange too.

Posted by
80 posts

Agree with Steve. The construction on the motorway at the airport and the surrounding area, has gotten very confusing! A year ago it was somewhat simple..I have gotten lost twice, in the last 6 months, just trying to get back on the N3.

Posted by
147 posts

Leaving the airport in Dublin to get out of town was one of the more frustrating drives I've had in quite a while. Fresh into the country, trying to navigate on the wrong side of the road in stop and go traffic.

Once you clear the metro area, it's wide open though