Please sign in to post.

Ireland

We are planning a trip to Ireland....we have 3 nights in Dublin and then 2 weeks to do what we want. We have always stayed in self catering apartments or homes in the past, but are not opposed to the idea of a bed and breakfast. We do not want to pack and unpack too often and are not "big city people". Where would you suggest we stay (possibly 2 places...1 week each)? would love to get into Northern Ireland but that may be too ambitious. What do you think?

Posted by
107 posts

Hi Barbara, I have a similar dilemma! (not that there's anything wrong with that!!) Right now I'm leaning towards a week in either Killarney, Kenmare, or Dingle; doing some hiking, hill-walking, etc in the Southwest, Ring of Kerry area, and then move north and spend a week in the Connemarra/Mayo area, maybe Westport, Clifden, etc..
I'm also considering a couple nights on the Aran Islands.

Posted by
54 posts

In 2007 we did a bicycle tour in the Galway-Connemara region which lasted one fabulous week. Our itinerary was Galway-Cong-Westport-Leenane-Roundstone-Carraroe (for the Aran Islands) and finished up back in Galway. I was totally in love with every bit of Ireland we saw in that region. We stayed mostly in B&Bs, and did not have to handle our own luggage from town to town. From there, for our second week, we rented a car and drove south to the small village of Skibbereen, where we had rented a country house for the week. Wow, once again, totally in love with southern Ireland. We did day trips all over the place along the coast. So, your idea is totally do-able. Our group flew to and from Shannon Airport. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever regions you choose!

Posted by
107 posts

Barbara,
I just had another thought, one of my favorite stops on an Ireland trip I did several years ago was Galway. Not sure what your definition of "big city" is, but while Galway is one of the larger cities in Ireland, it certainly is not large by american standards, nothing like Dublin, or London, or Chicago. From Galway you could easily do day trips to the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Aran Island, Connemarra. and that might leave you enough time to get up to the north if you want to do that. Save the southern part of Ireland for the next trip.

Posted by
32171 posts

Barbara, One of my favourite places in Ireland is Dingle. It's a wonderful smaller town, and a great place for Pubs and local music. While there you could explore the deserted Blasket Islands, visit the Gallarus Oratory or take a day tour of local historic sites with the retired Police Chief. Galway is also good, and a visit to the Aran Islands is definitely worthwhile. There are also some good sites in the north, such as the Devil's Causeway, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills and Belfast. Ireland provides lots of good possibilities! You might have a look at the Ireland Guidebook (next edition available Dec. 4th), and see what appeals to you the most. Happy travels!