Please sign in to post.

inverness

Any suggestions for a 1 day visit-- arrive by cruise ship at Invergordon

Posted by
1840 posts

Visit Culloden Battle ground. Take the bus from downtown. Visit the Highland Museum. Have a pint and be on your way.

Posted by
629 posts

I agree with Monte, Culloden is a must see. It is on our top 10 list for Scotland.

Posted by
74 posts

We are thinking of spending a week in Scotland in Oct. and I also would be interested in the entire top 10 list! Dan

Posted by
1840 posts

Okay. A day in Edinburgh to walk the Royal Mile. Two days in Glasgow (our favorite place) to visit the Glasgow School of Art and the Kelvingrove Museum. Fly to the Isle of Islay to visit the eight distilleries and one microbrewery, You will have to fly there and have a rental car waiting for you at the airport. We can help with that. A day in Oban. Perhaps someone else has favorites.

Posted by
5678 posts

1. EdinburghCastle in particular, but also the Museum of Scotland 2. Stirling Castle 3. The Cairngormswhether you see them from Aviemore and do some walks or if you go to the eastern side and see them from Balmoral 4. Inverness and Culloden 5. The west coast of Scotland. There are many ways to see this from Ullapool to Oban. 6. The Orkney Islands and the world Heritage sites including the Ring of Brogdar 7. Glasgow including the new museum that highlights Scotland's industrial and transportation heritage to the Cathedral on to the contemporary music scene. 8. The Borders, and particularly one of the Abbeys. I think I choose Jedburgh Abbey. 9. Fife and / or St. Andrews. If you are a golfer, St. Andrews must make this list, if you're not, there are still the Neuk firthside villages and other sites in the Kingdom of Fife.
10. Loch Ness and surrounding countryside. This is my first take on this. I am not sure I'm completely set on it and can't really believe that I've not thought this through before. And, I'm cheating a bit, by just saying the west coast. Then there is what's missing! Dunkeld and the Taybank Bar, Callinish Stones, Speyside! The Castle Trail in Aberdeenshire, Traqhir House, Loch Lomond, Kilmartin Glen, Glamis Castle, Blair Castle, the Black Isle, the Inverewe Gardens.... Pam

Posted by
629 posts

Along Pam's line................. 1. Edinburgh Castle 2. Stirling Castle & Wallace Monument 3. Inverness & Culloden 4. Isle of Skye 5. Oban with ferry to Mull & Iona 6. Ayrshire: Robert Burns Museum & Culzean Castle 7. St Andrews - much more than just a golf town 8. Loch Ness & Urqhart Castle 9. Glasgow - soccer at Ibrox
10. East Coast: Carnoustie, Arbroath, Montrose..... and more and more.............

Posted by
16 posts

Near Inverness - Cawdor castle - supposedly the castle inspired or has inspired MacBeth??? Anyways, nice place, nice tour, and beautiful garden - especially with a California Redwood transplanted there - hopefully still there... :0