Please sign in to post.

Inverness

My husband and I are going to Scotland in November and staying in a castle in Inverness for 2 nights. What should we not miss in that part of Scotland? Is there good hiking up in the Highlands?

Posted by
1840 posts

The museum there is good. It displays quite a bit of Highland art and craft.

Posted by
9110 posts

Probably the trails Pam's talking about are the ones on the big panel just outside the Drumnadrochit TI. There's two loops and you can do them both in less than three hours. Watch the weather, it changes fast. A couple of days ago it was rain, snow, hail, sleet, and sunshine all within a couple of hours. Windchill was probably close to twenty-five. Earlier in the week the mountains were clear. Now there's snow on the ground just about anywhere that's over three grand.

Posted by
5678 posts

There are lots of great hikes. If the weather cooperates you might want to head west. If you go to Ullapool, there are some nice short hikes in the hills right above the town. Ask at the TI for maps. Here's a helpful link. Glen Affric is also wonderful. Here's a link. You could also drive a bit south to Aviemore and hike in the Rothiemurchus Estate. If you just want an seaside walk you could go to Culbin Sands or Channonry Point. You should visit Culloden, which is the battlefield where Bonnie Prince Charlie was defeated. A short walk from the battlefield you can visit the stone circle, Clava Cairns. I found Fort George to be very interesting with great views of the Moray Firth. I like Cawdor Castle. You might want to visit Urqhart Castle. I did walk in the hills above Loch Ness, but I can't put finger on exactly where we were. Ask the TI. Pam