Please sign in to post.

Insurance in Ireland for car rental

I have nervously scanned the postings of horrific stories of how rental places take huge advantage of travelers w/ their dishonesty and fees. I'm hoping and praying I won't encounter that at all. In 2000 I rented from National and they did try to bill me after I returned to US. I fought it with the credit card company and won. To my mind, once they sign off on the return of your vehicle, you are no longer responsible.

This week I've done a pkg deal w/ Aer Lingus Vacation Store and Dooley...again fearful re what is accepted once one gets there, I called Dooley and was just told that yes, they do accept the World MC insur coverage but they have a 2000E deductible. Just an FYI. One has to persist and keep asking more and more questions as I found that each contact w/ either Aer Lingus or Dooley gave me more information that had not been previously offered.

Posted by
55 posts

we payed for the insurance with Dooley and were glad we did-had several scratchs and a tire peeled due to narrow roads-sure gave us peace of mind.

Posted by
55 posts

we payed for the insurance with Dooley and were glad we did-had several scratchs and a tire peeled due to narrow roads-sure gave us peace of mind.

Posted by
506 posts

We rented a car in May from Budget, at the Dublin Airport. I researched everyway possible to avoid the high add on Insurance. And since my Visa card that usually covers all of that doesn't cover Ireland, Italy, India or Phillipines. We ended up just biting the bullet and paying for the insurance. Didn't really make it so expensive that at the end we really noticed a bite out of the budget. And we had absolutely no problems with Budget or anything else in regards to the rental car. Turned it in came home had a great trip and went on with life.

Posted by
9369 posts

Karyn, it's not that Dooley will or will not accept the MC insurance, it's whether the insurance will cover you in Ireland. Dooley has no control over that, or whether they would pay in the event of an accident. And most likely, Dooley will put a hold on your credit card for that deductible until you return the car.

Posted by
2876 posts

Absolutely check with your Mastercard carrier to see if their coverage is good in Ireland. With most credit cards, Ireland is excluded.

Your safest choice - and unfortunately also most expensive - is to buy super CDW coverage from the rental car company.

Posted by
1358 posts

Your other option is to go with a 3rd party to cover the deductible. We went through dailyexcess.com. It cost a lot less than the super CDW with the rental company. If you're going to go this route, though, make sure you use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, like Capitol One or Charles Schwab. We didn't, and the fees ate up a good bit of our savings. With the 3rd party coverage, the rental company would charge your credit card the deductible if there was any damage, and then you file a claim with the 3rd party insurance. Just save all of your paperwork. I have a World Mastercard, and chose not to go through them for my coverage. I had a really hard time getting a straight answer from anyone about what kind of coverage they offered in Ireland. With any rental car, get a quote up front that lists what is included in that quote and what isn't. Last year, there was a small transaction fee added to my bill, I emailed Thrifty after I got home and it was easily removed.

Posted by
126 posts

Dooley offers excess waiver liability at $15.00 per day (depends on the class of rental). I bought it, it was charged up front, and reduced my liability from 1000 euros to 100. They inform me that no hold will be put on my card as long as I purchase this extra insurance (this is on top of liability). We'll see. I'll be picking up the rental in the next few weeks.