ID cards for teenagers

I'm taking my niece and my mom to London and Paris this summer. Many of the places we want to visit offer a concession/discount for children or youths. Do I need to get my niece a special international ID card to secure these lower admissions? Or will her passport be good enough? Thanks!

Posted by Nicholas
Seattle, Washington, United States
282 posts

It depends on what the discount is. If it is age based, anything with a DOB will work. Most of the time, they are not going to check ID, unless your niece looks like she could be borderline. You can also go for a ISIC card, if you are worried. They are pretty cheap.

Posted by Gail
Downingtown, USA
1671 posts

Also be sure you get some type of documentation letting you get the child medical treatment if needed.

Posted by Brad
Gainesville, VA
7870 posts

Passport and maybe her student ID from her school. You may have to ask for the discount, but they rarely ask for something to prove age/student status.

Posted by Debbie
7 posts

Thanks for the responses and reassurance. We will have her student ID card and passport, so that should over it. And yes, I will get a letter from her parents giving me and the grandmother the authority to handle medical issues. I also need to get a list of her meds for asthma, etc.

Posted by pat
victoria, Canada
8722 posts

Bring her meds. And have doctor use generic names not brand names for script. My kids were never ided, but they were younger, if neice looks young ( under 15) then don't worry too much about id, but as someone said, if they look borderline take id. A passport is always proof of age and in Paris will be all you need. I didn't even haul it around for my son( I am one of those who leave passport in hotel safes) we just took a copy and his student card, but since he was 13 we never got asked for it anyways.
As noted kids under 18 are free in most museums in Paris and at Versailles.