Please sign in to post.

Iceland

I am planning a few days in Iceland (Reykjavik) coming up soon, on the way to/from London. I would appreciate any ideas on good but affordable hotels (if they exist, I am starting to wonder) and perhaps restaurants (from what I have read, may be a good time to start a diet). Thank you!

Posted by
590 posts

Hi Frank, I stayed at the Centre Hotel Plaza. It was nice, clean, good breakfast but the rooms were very small. If that doesn't matter to you, then it is a nice place to stay. There are some complaints from people who had a room facing the square that it is incredibly noisy (Icelanders on weekends stay out and drink until 5-6 am), but we had a room in the back and it was quiet for us. I had a fantastic lobster soup at the Sea Baron. It is right on the harbour. Icelandic Fish and Chip restaurant was also very good and it is pretty much across the street from the Sea Baron. Definitely try the hotdog or pylsun (sp?). Ask for everything on it. It is very good, cheap and there are a few street stalls that sell them. If you are feeling adventurous you can try sheep's head at the BSI bus station. Or hackerl (rotten shark meat). I tried this at Einer Benn. Those were experiences that i am glad I did, but would never do it again! Enjoy Iceland, I loved my time there and it is a place like no other.

Posted by
417 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Cabin which was very reasonable. Good breakfast buffet and I felt the rooms were quite nice. Ours had a sea view, some did not and were smaller, from what I gather the sea rooms are bigger- but I didn't pay any more for it. There is a bus stop right at the hotel which we used extensively, or a walk into the center of town was 2K, which we also did. The closet outdoor pool complex is less than 1K to the east. These are a very fun experience in Iceland and you should try to visit one at least once! I cant recall any of the local restaurant names, but to save money I did eat at Subway and Pizza Hut, both of which are about the same price as in the US.

Posted by
241 posts

Radisson BLU Saga Hotel was great with a lovely restaurant a few years ago. Easy bus to centre Rey'k. (Buses are easy +++ in Iceland). Great country.

Posted by
417 posts

Good point Susan, the buses are very easy. All the drivers I encountered spoke excellent English and were very helpful. Service is frequent, fast, and clean.