Please sign in to post.

Iceland

I'm planning a 7-day trip to Iceland at the end of November. I've just started my planning and would like any input from anyone who has visited Iceland....things to see, places to stay, etc. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
524 posts

My first piece of advice is...GO! Iceland is beautiful, and given the time of your trip you should be able to see the northern lights. We were there this past spring, on a 6-night package/promotion from Icelandair. The best part of the trip was having our return delayed by 3 days due to the volcano blow. Reykjavik is a great city, easy to manage. Although it's small, staying close to the city center is a good idea given how cold it can be to walk places. The Hotel Reykjavik Centrum is a great hotel (if you can get a reasonable price, which we did last spring). In addition to Reykjavik, be sure to get out into the country. Not sure if you're renting a car, or how driving will be that time of year, but the countryside is fascinating. If not comfortable driving, check out bus tours. We visited Pingvellir (pronounced Thingvellir) and Gullfoss waterfall as well as some other places. The north coast, the northwest, and I'm sure other parts of the island, are reported to be spectacular. I intend to find out next time I'm there. And there WILL be a next time. The Blue Lagoon is reported to be a good place to experience a thermal spa, but we didn't go so can't vouch for it. If you get out of the city (Reykjavik), you will see thermal vents everywhere. You'll love it. Have a great trip!

Posted by
590 posts

I spent 4 days in Iceland in July and I am jealous that you get to spend 7! I was so surprised by how much I fell in love with the country. It is so incredibly beautiful and easy to get around. You must rent a car though. I spent a few hours at the Blue Lagoon and felt that it was a must see. Reykjavik is a great compact city that merits at least a full day. I went on a tour of the south coast to Jokusalron which maybe be closed by November. But the drive out there was beautiful and the town of Vik looked like the kind of place that I would have liked to have stayed overnight. Heard great things about the Golden Circle too.

Posted by
417 posts

I be those temps are slightly warmer than in Wisconsin!! brrr

Posted by
417 posts

The end of November is going to be more difficult for sights. I went in September two years ago and many sights were closed. On the plus side, there were not many tourists. Blue Lagoon is great, whale watching, the South Coast are highlights, as is Thingvallir and the Golden Circle. Reykjavik is lots of fun, but really only has a day or so of sights, though it makes a good base. November will be chilly, but not terrible. PM for more info if you like.