Please sign in to post.

Iceland

Anybody have any advice on travel to Iceland? I would like to leave from Ireland or the UK and would love advice on best/cheapest airlines that fly to Reykjavik, where to stay and must sees etc... Thanks!

Posted by
20 posts

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of travel info out there for Iceland yet, but start Googling "Iceland" and "Reykjavik" and you'll happen upon some good articles and tourist sites, as I did while planning a trip there last fall.

Some sites to get you started:

Learn about the Blue Lagoon at www.bluelagoon.com

Where I stayed: Hotel Vik

48 Hours in Reykjavik: One writer's take on what to see and do there

Iceland Tourist Board and
Reykjavik Tourism

Posted by
220 posts

From Reyjavik we took these great day trips with Reykjavk Excursions: Gullfoss-Geyser-the Golden Circle, Reykjanes-Blue Lagoon, pJorsardalur Valley.
We flew to Akureyri. (There is also bus service, but the flight over the glaciers is well worth the expense). From Akureyri we took the Lake Myvatn-Dummumborgir tour which I would NOT consider a must see. My favorite excursion was a day cruise from Akureyri to the tiny island (about 30 houses) of Grimsy inside the Arctic Circle. On the way we saw whales, and on the island there are cliffs covered with puffins.
My favorite museum is the Arbaer Open Air Museum just outside of Reykjavik- accessible by bus.