Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Edinburgh

Please recommend economical rooms near Waverly Train station in Edinburgh. Thank you.

Posted by
32332 posts

Debbie, "Economical" will depend on when you'll be in Edinburgh. If you'll be there during the Festival and Tattoo in August, room prices increase sharply. Could you provide a bit more information on your trip? You may find it helpful to have a look at the Guidebook. Happy travels!

Posted by
5678 posts

You do have to define economical as Ken points out the Festival has a huge impact on availability and price. Do you want to be near Waverly as you won't have car? There is good bus service. Also, you could look for something near Haymarket as well. I stayed at the Walton a year or so ago and found it reasonable and walkable to Waverly. Pam

Posted by
3428 posts

We have always stayed at the Royal British Hotel. It is directly across Princes St. from Waverly Station. Reasonable rates and an excellent breakfast.

Posted by
124 posts

We stayed a couple of years ago at the Travelodge on St. Mary's Street which is a short block off the Royal Mile. It's not expensive, walkable from Waverly (10-15 minutes if I recall) , rooms are comfortable but not quaint, and there is no breakfast included, though there is a small restaurant on premises-lots of cafes nearby. If you are staying in Edinburgh for a couple of days, the location is great.

Posted by
48 posts

Hi. Thank you for the hotel suggestions. I will investigate. We will be the first week of April. This may be touristy but that's who we are so I will go right ahead and ask, "Where can we listen to bagpipers and watch serving of the haggis in Edinburgh?" We attended a Medieval banquet in Ireland and surprised ourselves by really enjoying the evening.
Thanks again. Debbie

Posted by
117 posts

Debbie, We're staying at 23 Mayfield. I'm not sure it is as close to the station as you would like though. I'm hoping to see/hear bagpipes while I'm in Edinburgh too. We are, after all, tourists. ; )

Posted by
3428 posts

You will probably find several "street performer" bag pipers. We usually see them around Princes St. Park, and at several locations along the Royal Mile. Af ew time there have been group performers (severl pipers, drums, etc.) at the plaza outside shopping center in front of the station and just down Princes St. Don't know of any places that do a special haggis ceremony (like at Burn's night) similar to the medieval castle stuff. I'm sure you could easily find several resturants that serve haggis, though.

Posted by
35 posts

Hi Debbie I stayed at The Parliament House Hotel it is in a great location near the Train Station and the rates are pretty good. I got a lower rate because I arrived in Edinburgh earlier than planned and got a last minute rate. You might want to contact the hotel directly and see if they have lower rates for a direct booking. Bagpiper's play outside the Train Station on the corner where the street to the station meets with Prince's Street. And...You can get Hagis almost everywhere. There was even a place that had Hagis Nachos. I saw several restaurants along the Royal Mile that serve Hagis. It's not my thing so I didn't have any. I find that when I ask at the hotel they usually have a good recommendation. You could also ask your hotel about special events or bagpiping festivals that might be on the calendar when you are visiting before you arrive. Most are more than willing to book sightseeing and special events for you. Scotland was so beautiful. I did a day tour to Lochness and enjoyed the scenery immensely! Oh and the garden at Holyrood Palace should be wonderful. Enjoy!!
Andrea

Posted by
33588 posts

Tonight is Burns Night, the traditional day to Salute the Haggis.