Please sign in to post.

hotel in London?

Any recommendations for a hotel in London? Close to public transportation, comfortable, quiet with private bath. Yet not a sterile chain hotel feel.

Posted by
148 posts

Difficult to recommend anything without knowing your budget.

Posted by
117 posts

Rydges Kensington. Clean, quiet, elegant, great dining (in hotel and local), Gloucester Road tube station one block away (as well as the bus services), bank and post office across the street, walking distance to the V&A and Natural History Museum. We stayed here for a week in May and will stay there again on our next UK adventure. Loved, loved, LOVED it!

Posted by
5678 posts

Last summer I stayed at The Colonnade. It was very convenient to Paddington, which was important to me. I know that some of the singles can be very small. I had the petite double. : ) Singles tend to be very small in most UK hotels and don't have double beds. Pam

Posted by
279 posts

Last summer, my mom and I stayed at the Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury, just around the corner from the British Museum, where we paid $200 per night. The double room was small but adequate and had a bathroom en suite. Good breakfasts, excellent service, free wifi, and the location was fantastic. We were a short block from Oxford street, with tons of buses going east west, another block walk to Tottenham Ct tube station servicing two lines. And, when we checked out, the short taxi ride to the train station for York was welcome.

Posted by
1010 posts

Three years in a row (2008 - 2011) we were very happy at the Cronw Plaza, South Kensington. In 2012, we couldn't get a room there, due to the Olympics coming. We then stayed at another great hotel - The Doubletree (Westminister). The Crowne Plaza is directly across the street from the Gloucester Tube station. The south Kensington area is a very desirable area to stay in and walk around. It is only one stop away on the Tube to Harrod's, which has great places to eat. The Doubletree was also convenient. We could walk right outside our hotel, to the left, turn around and we were on the Thames. We could walk along the Thames everyday. It was a very short walk to Big Ben, Parliament, the Piers, the Horseguards Parade, etc, etc. We would go back to either hotel in a minute. The Crowne Plaza is part of the Priority Club (IHG) hotel point system. You earn points for future stays all over the world - in such hotels, as the Holiday Inn's, Crowne Plaza's, InterContinetnatl, etc. The Doubletree hotel is part of the Hilton Hotel chain. You earn points there also. At the Doubletree, our breakfast was included in the price. London is just plain fantabulous, in our opinion. We have stayed in London five times total, and still haven't run out of things to do. We have been fortunate to visit for a minimum of 10 days to two weeks, each time. You will have a great time.