Please sign in to post.

Hotel in London

My fiancé and I will be honeymooning in Great Britain for two weeks at the end of October. We're taking Rick's advice and ending our trip in London, and staying in B&Bs on our trip thoughout England and Scotland. We'd like to splurge on a hotel in London since everything is expensive there anyways and it seems like an occassion to treat ourselves for a couple nights, but we'd like to spend under $250.00/night USD. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel there? We have Rick's recommendations from his 2008 book, but it's hard to judge on a website. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
643 posts

I did a lot of research on hotels in London, and came up with some good ones. Luna&Simone (95 pounds a night), Lime Tree (go to Londontown.com for a discounted rate, around 118 pounds a night), are both good options in the Victoria Station area and would fit in your budget. I'd also look at the highly-rated B&B Belgravia (hard to get a room, but worth a try). I'd also look at Aster House, which at 169 pounds is a little over your budget, but looks like a very nice place indeed (and is the place Rick stays at on his DVD).

My wife and I are staying at a new hotel called 'base2stay' in Earls Court. It is unique in that it has kitchenettes in each room, as well as free internet access on a large flat screen TV. It's just two stops from South Kensington, which is a very nice area for museums and shopping. They have a Superior room that might suit you.

Posted by
1455 posts

Deirdre,
In my last few trips to London I've used hotwire.com, picking a hotel 3 stars or higher. I've been quite lucky and received Hilton, Sheraton, and Crowne Plaza.

If you're looking for a nice hotel but at a price you can afford, check it out.

Posted by
12 posts

Has anyone stayed at The Sumner, The Clavererley or Number Sixteen?

Posted by
643 posts

Over those three, I'd highly suggest looking at Aster House. Tripadvisor reviews speak volumes.

Posted by
3551 posts

You really cannot get much for $250 in London. It just won't be equivalent to a hotel in USA at that price so I suggest you do the bidding option, hotwire, priceline.
Otherwise your hotels will be variable and no better than a 2-3 star hardly a honeymoon treat.

Posted by
643 posts

I would pay close attention to the reviews on Tripadvisor.com. The Sumner is rated highly, I'd check it out.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for everyone's advice. I believe Aster House is more of a B&B which we'd like to avoid in London since we'll be staying in them for the rest of our trip. Does anyone have recommendations for places they have actually stayed at, regardless of the price? I'd rather go a little over our budget to stay some place great, then stay in our budget and be disappointed with our room (The Sumner is around $300 USD a night, but if you use Rick's book you get a 20% discount)

Posted by
8688 posts

Stayed here at the end of a trip to Italy. Had seen it on a previous trip to London.
Walked by it one day on the way to Hyde Park and said, "I'm staying there on my next trip." http://www.kenhouse.com/ Had a room on the top floor. Quiet. Was it outstanding? No. Was it nice? Yes. Would I stay there again? Absolutely. Liked the surrounding area and the personnel was attentive. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks Claudia, this hotel looks very nice and I like the location!

Posted by
158 posts

I highly recommend base2stay in the Earl's Court/Knightsbridge area....$127 GBP and is totally rennovated, sleek, modern with lots of amenities...wonderful staff....stayed there in May for 8 nights and were very pleased!

What ever you decide...prefer to Trip Advisor and the traveler's comments/photos for the latest feedback and reviews! It is well worth the time to confirm that the hotel is still what it is "supposed to be"....

Posted by
43 posts

Hi there,
I got a great deal at The Marriott Grosnevor House 5*. It comes with daily buffet breakfast and in the lovely area of Mayfair, which is walkable to everything.
one night $149. {GBP]
Stay 3 and the 3rd one is free. Three nights work out to be 300 pounds and thatworks out to $235.00 USD per night, including 17 percentVAT and the breakfast. Plus totally cancelable. Plus you get .Marriott points!
Take a look. Called city breaks in the offers section
If you like Thistle, I have a discount code you can enter, being a fan of their hotel.

Also look at aboutrooms.com